swingarm questions

Classic short-frame models

swingarm questions

Postby curiousgeorge » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:40 pm

I had a friend looking for a swingarm for a XLR project so I got out my swingarms and started looking them over. I have 3 short spot welded arms and my first question is one of them has finished holes for both long and short chain guards, what application is this one. My next question is when did they start welding them all the way around. I didn't look in all my books but a look in a couple show a transition from the -52A to 52B somewhere after 63, the 63 PB still lists the 52A and the 65 PB shows the 52B.
Thanks George
curiousgeorge

Re: swingarm questions

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi George, Also there are early -52 long tube short rear casting versions out there. Early takes long chainguard through 1955. So long mount hole spacing. Two hole never seen before. Maybe 55-56 transition or home done? Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby 55panman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:18 pm

So anyone know the answer for the question of right swing arm for a XLR. I'm building a 1961 XLR and would like to know what swing arm I need. I have a '61 frame but it didn't come with a swing arm. Thanks for any info. Regards, RL
55panman

Postby thefrenchowl » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:59 am

Hi,

There's no R part for the swing arm, so whatever year XLR would be fitted with same year street swing arm, no letter or A or B ...

Worth noting as well that XLRs are not fitted with a chain guard, so who knows what they picked in the parts bin as far as swing arms go...

If I zoom like mad on my Pohlman factory shot of a 1960 XLR-TT, HD 23210,, the front lug for long chain guard front bolt is neither tapped neither spot-faced, that's the only clue I can offer.

1.jpg
1.jpg (93.86 KiB) Viewed 11723 times

Diff between A and B could be as trivial as adding the brake switch bracket on the right hand side.

If you are trying to assemble a 100 points AMCA judged bike, be prepared for some hassle...

I had a chat with an AMCA judge yesterday about a KHR-TT (yes, unlike a judge here, others do phone me from time to time for advice and clarifications...) and he told me that H-D race bikes would now be only judged as OEM, as it left the factory, and certainly not as raced even with documentation.

Now, who's gonna judge what would be an OEM XLR-TT, who knows???

And who's gonna raise an eyebrow when actual ""historic as raced"" racers will be butchered back into an OEM state no one can ascertain for sure?

Being build more or less as one offs as they were ordered, the degree of different fit and finish on racers will be immense...

Kind regards from Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby curiousgeorge » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:19 am

First off I want to thank everybody for the responses. Thanks on the reminder on the long tube short casting early K swing arm Eric. And the two hole arm I have is spot faced, very factory looking, so I'm up on this being a transition swing arm. But this still leaves me the question of when did they start welding the swing arm all the way around. I also have an arm that is welded all the way and is a short tube without a stop light switch mount, ?. I don't have access to a 67-69 Ch at the moment so did they have the switch mount? And the number for the 67-69 is a 56B so that makes me wonder about the 52B and whether this could be the welded arm arm starting in 65. Sorry if I am just a mass of questions. And Patrick, your archives must fill your house. As to as they left the factory for judging, I under stand their dilemma, but they need to address the historical significance of as raced. Again thanks to all and I realize some of my questions will just have to wait till I can find unmolested bikes to give me my answers.
curiousgeorge

Postby thefrenchowl » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:07 am

George, you don't know the half of it... as I don't collect just Harley stuff/bikes... Mind you, I have slowed down on H-D papers...

And a friend of mine is selling about 2 m3 of pre WW II bike catalogues and magazines/photos (about 210 cubic feet...), but I passed on that one, my house's not big enough neither are my funds at the mo!!!...

Through all the Ks and Xs I had over the years, I can't remember pre 69 short swing arms being welded all round.

Maybe someone can post a pic?

The std process at the time at H-D was to spot weld to hold in place, put in a jig, then silver braze all the "interference" junctions (tube fitted in hole type of stuff), it's much stronger than welding and less prone to fatigue and cracks.

Other stuff I know for sure that was spot welded then silver brazed (but not "tube in hole" …) includes the oil tank bracket on right hand side saddle tube from 52 K till 67 XLH and the cast head steady, 52 to 56 K/KH.

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby 55panman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks for the replys.
55panman

Postby hugoct » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:45 pm

A 1961 Sportster XLRTT would have had a 52R frame with the 57R steering head casting, track racing peg mount casting on the lower right frame rail and cross mounted foot peg mount.
A 1961 Sportster XLRTT would have a 1961 XLCH swingarm.
Serial number?
hugoct

Postby 55panman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Bill, No, my frame isn't an XLRTT frame, it's '61 Sporty. But '61 XLR engine parts. Ron
55panman

Postby roadbum » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Would someone know the part number for that exhaust support tube shown in the pic? Thank you, Tom.
roadbum

Next

Return to 1957 to 1969