Re: no oil pressure

Classic short-frame models

Postby Richie E » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:25 pm

Just a follow up on the oil pressure problem I had last year on my 68 XLCH. After a few months I finally pulled out the oil pump and took it apart. Everything looked good ,gears, body, etc., except one thing. There was no drive pin in the shaft to turn the feed gears! No broken pin in the pump,no chipped gears and since it's a press fit in the shaft, no part of the pin was there,just an empty hole. Whoever worked on this engine forgot to press in the pin! Just goes to show you can't assume anything. I sent the pump to Tom[the pump expert in Mass.]to add the extra seal and check it all out. Works great now with good pressure and return. The point of all this is ,had I not installed a pressure gauge, I most likely would have seized the engine. Can't figure out why this model had no guage since there is no battery for an oil light. I made a bracket and permanently installed a low pressure gauge. Richie E
Richie E

Postby thefrenchowl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm

Since once hot there's no oil pressure to speak of, your right hand from time to time on the oil tank while you run is a much better oil circulation indicator than a gauge that oscillate slightly around zero...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Ferrous_Head » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:53 pm

I ran into the exact same thing last year with a bike I bought very cheaply from someone. Only in m case the half moon key driving the return side was missing. Super annoying as it's a serious PITA to pull a pump for a 50 cent part replacement.
But I suspect that's why I got the bike so cheap. $1200 for a 74 with what turned out to be a rebuilt engine.
In my case it all seemed very strange to me as the pump had very good pressure so I knew it was being turned but nothing was getting returned to the tank.
I am still wondering how this got left out. I wonder if the engine builder was seriously pissed at the guy he built the engine for.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Return to 1957 to 1969