Starting The 64

Classic short-frame models

Re: Starting The 64

Postby dr dick » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:17 pm

ok z lets get you some more usefull info.

58-64 bikes had fixed timing.
this is a pic of a stockish L62-64 mag mounting. i dont think nyloc is correct, i think its a nut and lockwasher.
what you have is one of the later (65-69) 'movable' mounts.

that said lets go over mags and mounts so you have a working knowledge.
better yet
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showpost.php?p=3681144&postcount=233
on this linked post you will see the parent thread link in the upper right.
read post 233 to post 253.

bikes that were factory equipped with movable mounts (65-69) had the movement controlled by the left twist grip.

the fact that the arm is brazed to the lower mag housing is a sign of desperation. its not how it should be done

a handgrip controlled timing setting is very user friendly.
all my bikes are set up with it regardless of year.
i wont own a fixed timing bike.
dr dick

Postby hennesse » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:23 pm

dr dick wrote:this is a pic of a stockish L62-64 mag mounting. i dont think nyloc is correct, i think its a nut and lockwasher.

Dr. Dick,
You are right - they're Flexlock nuts, not Nylock.
Your XLforums post doesn't show the early adapter plate, but the '59 parts book does.

Here are some scans from the 1959 and 1963 Parts Catalogs
The 3791 (also Index #4) is 1/2-28 x 3/4 hex head
The 7683 (also Index #7) is a nut, 1/4-28 Flexlock.
The early mag didn't use a washer. The later mag used a (Index #31) 29607-62 washer, which looks like the one shown in your picture.

The early mag used the 29600-48 adapter plate with 29601-48 screws holding the plate to the engine. The adapter plate isn't countersunk. These screws look like tall fillister heads with an integral "washer".

The later mag used the 29600-62 adapter, with countersunk holes, with 1865W screws, which are 10-24x15/32 countersunk head.

I have no idea where the dividing line between early and late 1962 is. Any ideas?
magneto.jpg
1959 (left) and 1963 (right) Parts Catalogs
magneto.jpg (97.75 KiB) Viewed 7792 times
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Zaemo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks guys. I've been getting more and more familiar with these. Again, thanks for the tech info, Dave. I just pulled my mag and sent it off to Morris.

I had to remove the magneto altogether. I pulled the points and breaker plate only to discover that supposed "tech" that "rebuilt" this never installed a bearing grease retainer washer.

That's the last straw for that. With the Morris retarding cap I have and the option to replace the rotor with their upgrade or move to their impulse mag if repairs cost too much, it seemed like the thing to do.

I have asked Dave to swap my moveable base with a static unit due to the retarding cap. I don't have the cable assembly in my left grip. Also, I didn't know if the left grip movement would bother me while riding.

At this point, if I can lock the mag down and never worry about it being out of position, I'll take that peace of mind.

I do like those flexlock nuts. Those came with the correct tank bolts I picked up from Old Dude. I will be replacing fasteners as I go along.

Thanks for chiming in.

Chad
Zaemo

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969