Starting The 64

Classic short-frame models

Starting The 64

Postby Zaemo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:15 pm

I thought I would start a new thread. To catch up, I just got my 64 XLCH home and shortly after, I could not start it. I kicked and kicked and wondered what I was doing wrong. The more I kicked the more I thought it must be the bike. However, I went out of the country for work and starting looking into troubleshooting areas.

Air? I took the filter off. It was soaked in too much oil was my opinion. I ordered a dry element.
Fuel? I can smell it and there is some present at the outside of the choke flange. Plugs are a little wet.
Spark? Not sure. I was however assured that the F-B mag was fine and that it had been run for two hours on the stand etc etc etc

So, back to me. Was I kicking correctly? Paralysis by analysis set in after reading about Sportster leg and kicking fast enough and which side of the bike to stand on and what prayer to say.

I get home on Sunday and try the bike again. No life. No cough. No nothing. I do not try for long. Dr Dick advised me to kick with my head and not with my heart. I had been doing the opposite. Great advice, sir.

Time to get the tools out. This bike was supposed to be ready to ride and enjoy but I have now let that idea pass. My suspicion lied in the Mag since I couldn't see in it and the carbs seem very simple. Plus, my strength is in ignitions. I removed the air cleaner backing plate and choke flange and pulled the cap. I already didn't like what I saw.
full mag 1.jpg
full mag 1.jpg (271.04 KiB) Viewed 17579 times

full mag 2.jpg
full mag 2.jpg (278.13 KiB) Viewed 17579 times

Grease. The points looked discolored from the outside. I stuck a 15 thou feeler in and it wasn't what you would call smooth. I had ordered a Morris retarding cap and a coil as a spare so I figured it was time to install it.
I pulled the points and knew I was going to be vindicated. Fried grease.
point 2.jpg
point 2.jpg (163.78 KiB) Viewed 17579 times
Zaemo

Re: Starting The 64

Postby Zaemo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:27 pm

(I left the pictures large so that you can see the small details)

The other point..... Greased Lightnin'!
point 1.jpg
point 1.jpg (153.2 KiB) Viewed 17575 times

I'm not sure why the cam oiler felt would be so close to the point contacts. The F-M setup with the fork holding the felt on the opposite side of the cam seems way more logical. I cleaned the breaker plate and installed the Morris kit. When doing so I noticed that the coil had a curious piece of electrical tape on the wire. It had been mashed under a cap a few times it looked like so I yanked it and I'll use it for a spare as long as I had a new Morris coil sitting right there. They both metered out pretty close to each other.

The other think I noticed was that the cam had some damage. What else? Why not? I took a points file to it and some fine paper to smooth it out. You can see the marks in the cam follower on the old points if you look at the picture carefully.

cam 1.jpg
cam 1.jpg (206 KiB) Viewed 17575 times

Looking at the F-B points that come with the Morris kit, you get the feeling that they will last quite a while.

F-B Point.jpg
F-B Point.jpg (211.37 KiB) Viewed 17575 times
Zaemo

Postby Zaemo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:36 pm

I set the gap, found the timing mark, made a quick timing interrupt light circuit and set the mag at full advance. I have a later movable unit and I need a suggestion on how to keep it stuck at full advance without wire or springs please!
I put the carb and everything else back together. Fuel on. Full choke. Full retard on the cap. Third kick she coughs. I go to half choke I think and a few more kicks. In less than about 2 minutes it's idling away happily. How does it run you ask? That was 2 AM and now it's raining cats and dogs so I still have no idea. I am however going to go out to the garage and start it up.

Chad
Zaemo

Postby sean » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:37 pm

nice job on the points,im wondering if the cam is running out a bit.the damage seen looks to be from banging into the side to hard.at the wrong angle.watch the center drill hole when its spinning to see its running true. ...or possibly a worn out plastic lifting lobe...causing the points to close to tightly and sudden opening once the lobe hits the high side.
sean

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:27 pm

Probably allready checked, but is your fuel fresh. It doesn't have much shelf life these days.
EKHKHK56

Postby Zaemo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Both great points if you'll pardon the pun.
I think I'll dump the gas into the mower.
I'll try to view the cam from directly above. I should have checked the gap at both lobes had I been thinking. Kinda just happy it's running.
Z
Zaemo

Postby 55khkjoe » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:54 pm

I am also running the later keyed mag, for security. 2 bolts and nuts and washers keep it in advanced . Glad you like the retard cap, makes life easier and plenty of energy left from less kicking.
55khkjoe

Postby Hammie13 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:05 pm

I've had both types of Magneto's and tried a few carb's,and I've had my best luck with a stock Linkert on my K's,and stock Distributors,with the EZ-Start 2000 points eliminator. They work in both 6 and 12 volt systems,and require very little juice to fire. Two taps on the gas,two primes,one more tap on the gas,at 1/4 retard and away we go. I have one on my '46 Fl also,with bigger wheels and a cam,and it lights right up the same way. Once you find the sweet spot,and how much gas it wants,and when, it will make starting much easier. Of course,it all goes out the window if more then 3 people are watching,haha! Funny how they always know when the crowd is watching!
Hammie13

Postby Zaemo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:31 pm

55khkjoe wrote:2 bolts and nuts and washers keep it in advanced

I tightened those down but it still moves. There are washers on them. I didn't crank them down but snugged them well.

IMG_9264 (1).jpg
IMG_9264 (1).jpg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 17551 times

IMG_9266 (1).jpg
IMG_9266 (1).jpg (93.36 KiB) Viewed 17551 times
Zaemo

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:51 pm

Speaking of starting rituals, I have a sequence that works great on the KH, KHK with the long stroke. Cold. Fuel on, full choke, two wide open "strokes", half choke, 1/4 throttle slowly wind it up to just BTDC. Now Ignition on and full stroke on that starter after you lightly engage the starter gears. Not really a kick more like your Whole Body into it extending down to your foot...That's a "one kick" start every time, with Linkert Carb. Hot. Half choke, 1/4 throttle and same wind it up to BTDC before turning on ignition.
EKHKHK56

Next

Return to 1957 to 1969