What's with the front fenders on this bike?

Classic short-frame models

What's with the front fenders on this bike?

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Mike

Re: What's with the front fenders on this bike?

Postby Model H » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:34 pm

That's the correct fender for this XLH.

First appeared in 59 on H's went thorough I believe 64.

OEM part # 59007-59

I will say the paint on that bike looks awful good for OP, I would like to see in person before I bid.

Just me.
Model H

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Roger, Model H. The tank badges look to be in a weird position as well.
Mike

Postby strong56KH » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Too many blurry pictures to see all the details but looks very original. The paint looks like Hi-Fi Blue and the old decal looks original. Pulls down the road like a freight train?
strong56KH

Postby Model H » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Mike wrote:Roger, Model H. The tank badges look to be in a weird position as well.

That's stock placement.

Just a FYI, they don't repop those tank badges.
Model H

Postby hennesse » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:38 pm

strong56KH wrote:Too many blurry pictures to see all the details but looks very original. The paint looks like Hi-Fi Blue and the old decal looks original. Pulls down the road like a freight train?

I'm betting the "Reserve Price" for this is $12K. What's your guess?

It really does look like someone kept this in their living room and polished it every day for the last 50 years! It really is too bad about the fuzzy photos. If you want to sell something for big bucks, you need to spend a little time and effort taking good photos. Some people take lousy photos on purpose - to try and hide faults. This bike is a real beauty, and deserves some really good photos.

The buddy seat appears to the the correct one for a 1960-1962 - but it's hard to see the pattern on the cover in the blurry photos - could be a 63-64. The metal band with rivets holding the cover to the frame was used through 1964. Most of the buddy seats you see out there are 1965-later with the replaceable cover.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Model H » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:52 am

hennesse wrote:
strong56KH wrote:Too many blurry pictures to see all the details but looks very original. The paint looks like Hi-Fi Blue and the old decal looks original. Pulls down the road like a freight train?

I'm betting the "Reserve Price" for this is $12K. What's your guess?

It really does look like someone kept this in their living room and polished it every day for the last 50 years! It really is too bad about the fuzzy photos. If you want to sell something for big bucks, you need to spend a little time and effort taking good photos. Some people take lousy photos on purpose - to try and hide faults. This bike is a real beauty, and deserves some really good photos.

The buddy seat appears to the the correct one for a 1960-1962 - but it's hard to see the pattern on the cover in the blurry photos - could be a 63-64. The metal band with rivets holding the cover to the frame was used through 1964. Most of the buddy seats you see out there are 1965-later with the replaceable cover.

my guess is 12K or more, its the first time the bike has been on ebay. Shoot for the stars the first time out, why not?

Does anyone have a clear pic of what the seat pattern should look like for 61?
Model H

Postby sportsterpaul » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:14 pm

If you want to sell something for big bucks, you need to spend a little time and effort taking good photos.

That is the truth. I learned this from my real estate agent when he took the pictures himself with the picture function of a camcorder. I have since met agents that tell me they pay 150 to 300 bucks for a professional photographer to come in. He takes a hundreds of pictures, of which the agent selects a few key ones to tell the story and get interest to set up a visit. They say too many pictures is a mistake too, you want to get people to visit, not entertain them.

I will post the original pictures, since that eBay link will go dead in a month or two.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (199.31 KiB) Viewed 17045 times

s-l1600r.jpg
s-l1600r.jpg (185.94 KiB) Viewed 17045 times

I also cropped and reduced the resolution, which can make the picture better if "resharpen" is turned on. Another photo tip for that eBay seller-- use the free IrfanView to crop, size, color-balance, straighten, reduce file size, and pretty much anything else. I rarely have to use my GIMP Photoshop clone anymore, IrfanView does most everything. Be sure to install the plug-in pack too.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Oh, and to the OP, those are stock XLH fenders. The valenced one in front, and the rear still has a little flip on it, very stylish. The tips were factory options, as was the mud-guard in back. I do believe there were aftermarket versions of these back in the day, as well. This gang can tell just from pictures if it is factory.

My guess is $14k for a reserve--

PS, I note its got the 56094-62 cover for the fork stem that has a hole for the damper, but no fork damper. Or wait this is a 1961, did all the covers have the hole until 1962, and then they offered the damper as an option?
sportsterpaul

Postby dr dick » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:59 pm

sportsterpaul wrote:
PS, I note its got the 56094-62 cover for the fork stem that has a hole for the damper, but no fork damper. Or wait this is a 1961, did all the covers have the hole until 1962, and then they offered the damper as an option?

thats actually a cigarette lighter with the knob missing.
dr dick

Postby hennesse » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:57 am

sportsterpaul wrote:I have since met agents that tell me they pay 150 to 300 bucks for a professional photographer to come in. He takes a hundreds of pictures, of which the agent selects a few key ones to tell the story and get interest to set up a visit. They say too many pictures is a mistake too, you want to get people to visit, not entertain them.

Your real estate agent is right - you want to provide enough photos to entice people to visit the house in person. Too many photos, and they've seen it all - no reason to visit. House interiors really need a wide-angle lens - like the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 (only $1800). But the photo "pro" should be able to get by with a couple dozen shots - not hundreds - people may blink and move, but house interiors don't.

Cheap digital cameras and cellphones have made horrible photographers out of the masses. Look at the photos in our Gallery section - most have been taken by advanced amateurs, and a few by professionals. Compare the ones you see on eBay and Craigslist - most of these are taken from horrible angles*, with horribly cluttered backgrounds, and horrible lighting.

Most people don't need fancy photo retouching software - they need to find a friend who knows how to take good photographs! Here's an outstandingly poor photograph from Craigslist. No software can fix this...

00o0o_51Hfqijqe0F_600x450.jpg
This Photograph certainly shows the motorcycle to its best advantage
00o0o_51Hfqijqe0F_600x450.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 16985 times

Dave

*Most people simply raise the camera to their eye-level and click the shutter - no matter what the subject is. To get a good detail shot of a motorcycle, you have to get down to its level, which means getting down on your knees. Look at the photos of Don Chasteen's two 1957s in the Gallery. Was the photographer standing straight up, or was he down at the motorcycle's level? Similarly, photos of dogs and children taken from adult-level usually suck - you need to get down to dog-level or child-level to capture the subject.
hennesse
Site Admin

Next

Return to 1957 to 1969