What's with the front fenders on this bike?

Classic short-frame models

Re: What's with the front fenders on this bike?

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Wow whoever it is they pack a mean fire extinguisher! Good points on shooting. Usually daylight photos with the subject in the sun provide best lighting. With my Cel Camera I have good luck with close-ups using 1/2 to 3/4 zoom. Also that helps flash close-ups to not wash out as you can back up. I miss using my OM 1 & 2 35mm Olympuses. They took great photos, but are a bit dated these days. Great looking Blue Sportster! Erik K
EKHKHK56

Re: What's with the front fenders on this bike?

Postby sportsterpaul » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:39 pm

thats actually a cigarette lighter with the knob missing.

Ha! That speaks volumes to your advice to me that I need to see actual motorcycles, not just pour through the parts books.

As to crappy photos, yeah, I am astonished how bad some are. The best advice was in Easyriders back in 1971, when they pointed out to keep the front end straight when you take a picture. I have also learned to use fill flash, no matter what. I do think you can get good results from a box camera or a phone, if there is plenty of light. For some eBay or Craigslist ads it seems it would be so simple to pull the bike in front of the closed garage door and get a decent background.
sportsterpaul

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969