XL-ent!!!

Classic short-frame models

XL-ent!!!

Postby Zaemo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:11 pm

A '57 XL found me locally. An independent H-D guy (Slim's) here in Atlanta has had this bike up on the lift for 10-12 years. All of the mechanicals have been rebuilt. It just needs finishing. I need to do the primary side which I now know how to do properly and I am going to step the cams up since the heads are -57 and the valves are a little smaller.

I'll need some things like correct shocks and I really need an original solo saddle if you're holding. This one is an original lightweight saddle. He is looking for a few parts in the shop that I'm missing like the horn trumpet support and I might need the left side bracket that holds the lock cylinder. HOPEFULLY he has that somewhere as I bet that's going to be hard to find. I've got the original exhaust but I think I'll get it new from Dennis Corso; it's kind of beat. The front fork tins aren't great but I may have them straightened out by a stainless guy.

The cases are chromed and I was going to try to swap it out for natural finish but I think I'm going to run it as is right now since I'm not in restoration mode. I want to get it on the road and get rid of my '64 which is starting, running and driving well.

Originality is important to me but I can't put the effort into trying to make it a points bike.

I'm wondering what the '57 battery clamps and compartment looks like and right now the fork tin setup doesn't make too much sense.

This already feels more like my bike than the '64 does.

If you have any pictures of the areas behind the tins, I would love to see them.

Cheers!
Chad

Zaemo

Re: XL-ent!!!

Postby thefrenchowl » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Nice score, enjoy it...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Return to 1957 to 1969