1957 Paint

Classic short-frame models

1957 Paint

Postby Zaemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:47 pm

According to 'The Legend' book, I could have ordered a '57 with any standard color. Did they mean for that year's offerings only?

Is that drawing correct calling the panel the top of the tank?

I have seen at least one other tank with white on top and black on bottom and black fenders. I have seen Red on top and black bottom w/ black fenders. I have seen red bottom/black top tank and red fenders.

I want to paint my tank with Black on top and a white below? That seems more 58-ish but I like it. I'm not sure I want to sit on the bike and have a white tank in front of me. I don't know why. I know I don't want white fenders.

It would seem you could have any of these colors in any configuration but did it happen? I would like to stay within factory parameters but I don't want to hear how it's 'wrong' all the time. What about the Gold and White one in the Harley Museum?
Attachments
57 Order Form (1).jpg
57 Order Form (1).jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
Standard Colors.jpg
Standard Colors.jpg (113.6 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
Zaemo

Re: 1957 Paint

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:42 am

Yes, one could order any color combination at HD as long as you paid for it...

I have always like the irony of the monochrome choice being a paid extra!!!

Be careful, when they say "white", it is never pure white, it always has a nudge of sommat else in... Grey, black... But don't know what else is in Birch White...

Pure white looks awful to the eye... And discolor pretty fast as well...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Return to 1957 to 1969