XLCH Brake Light Switch

Classic short-frame models

XLCH Brake Light Switch

Postby hennesse » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 pm

My 1962 XLCH did not have a brake light switch, nor the 72011-59 mounting bracket when I got it. I recently purchased the bracket (Tom's NOS Parts), and the spacers/screws (Old Dude), but when I put them on, the switch does not line up exactly with the brake foot lever - no matter how I swivel it, it's a few degrees off - and - it's a little too close to the brake foot lever - the adjusting bolt head will barely fit between the lever and the switch. On my KH, they line up exactly, and there is more room for adjustment between the lever and the switch. The switch "arm" appears to be the same shape on both.

The 72011-59 has an inside angle of about 120 degrees. It seems to me that if it were more like 90 degrees, the switch would line up exactly, and the space between the adjusting bolt and the switch would increase to about the right amount.

Before I take hammer to this NOS part, could someone take a look at their early 1960's XLCH and see if their bracket is "bent" like mine?
(Or maybe I'm the one that's bent...)

DMH_003663.jpg
DMH_003663.jpg (63.37 KiB) Viewed 9504 times

Thanks,
Dave

-- And yes, beat me up for having that socket bolt instead of the pin. It's on my list for the next order.
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: XLCH Brake Light Switch

Postby 55khkjoe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Dave, my 59 XLCH is 3/16 of an inch from primary tin to inside of bracket. It is a little over a 90 degree. It could be a combo meal, little tweak of bracket and brake light switch. Most dealer mechanics would adjust these to fit I believe.
55khkjoe

Postby DaveC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Dave, it looks like the switch bracket may have been pried away from the housing adding to your misalignment problem. If you put the switch in a vise and "protect" it with aluminum pads or rags on the jaws you can gently squeeze the mounting bracket closer to the switch body or bend it by hand and get the contact with the brake activation bolt you need. Go slowly and check fit often. Good luck Dave
DaveC

Postby hennesse » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 pm

DaveC wrote:Dave, it looks like the switch bracket may have been pried away from the housing adding to your misalignment problem.

Thanks Joe and Dave. Yeah, I looked at my KH's switch bracket and it is perfectly perpendicular to the switch, so the CH's is a little "pried away". Straightening that will make some difference. And swinging the switch the extra 1/4 inch so the actuator is on the bolt instead of to the side will make a little difference too. I guess all the planets have to be aligned.

I got out the hammer and tongs to work on it this afternoon, but then decided to go for a ride instead. Maybe tomorrow.
hennesse
Site Admin

Return to 1957 to 1969