Top end rebuild

Classic short-frame models

Top end rebuild

Postby Mark.A » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm

I have got a 58xl motor that I am working on.Pulled the top end and had the cylinders and Pistons measured.To far out for just new rings.Got new Pistons coming.Now for the valves can I just run OME or go with a Kibblewhite or something. Also what silver cylinder paint does work and look OME .
Mark.A

Re: Top end rebuild

Postby sportsterpaul » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:54 pm

For XL valve guides, I am a big believer in cast iron. The graphite in the iron self-lubricates and works just fine, and thermal expansion matches the head. Brass guide transfer heat better but wear out faster. For valves, my motor man said cheap nitrated valves work great with cast iron guides. I never understood stainless steel valves, its a crappy material that scuffs and has other problems just look at SS guns. Stainless is good a high temperature, but an old Iron Sportster does not have that much heat to worry about.

And in the name of heavenly mercy, and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, will somebody post the correct answer to the capcha question "When cold, you ___ the choke.:"

Thanks, Pilgrim
Paul
sportsterpaul

Postby strong56KH » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:54 pm

I hear ya brother, nothing works that I have tried either.

Mark - I have had good results with Harley-Davidson Heat resistant silver, part number 98660-78. You can still order it from your dealer but it's a bit pricey at $21.0 for 12 oz can. Looks just like the stuff they used to sell in the can that you brushed on.
strong56KH

Postby thefrenchowl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:49 pm

"When cold, you heat up the choke.:"

; O ) Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby 55panman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:33 pm

PM Black Diamond Nitrated valves (google PM) are the best. And definitely cast iron guides fit them .0015 intake and .0015 to .002 exhaust and USE seals. I run that in all my stuff works great. Even my EVO's. Run that set up in my Bonneville Panhead record setter, never a problem. Also my flattrackers.
55panman

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:57 pm

The bronze guides were designed for a closer fit for many engines. They seal better with less friction but wear out faster under severe use or high mileage. Same with bronze valve seats. I have gad good luck with VHT header paint. Clean and dry cylinders with brakleen of course and I warm them up some before coating. 100° But now it looks like they have a dull aluminum and shiny....too many choices :D Probably any header or exhaust silver paint good to 600 degrees would work. Getting the amount of shiny or dull finish is a question. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby Simon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:34 pm

Would be worth taking a look at XLR style valves while you're placing them?

Is it "close" the choke?
Simon

Postby sportsterpaul » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:16 am

Righto Simon. Today's question is "What side is the throttle on?" I guess it is a K-model forum, so Indian throttle position is not relevant. Do you think Indian put it on the left so cops could shoot their gun with their right hand? I once read that was an old-wives tale.

The one valve I would like to try is sodium-filled exhaust valves, but I doubt they even make them for Iron Sportsters. The older I get, the more I just figure to run dead stock parts, OEM if I can find them.
sportsterpaul

Postby hayleyl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello all - Sifton nitrate steel valves are a good replacement for stock / mild applications. Manley produce a nice quality product as well but I think they're only available in stainless for Ironheads (not sure). I think Jims also makes a good replacement valve for Ironheads. Sodium filled vales are awesome for high revving engines to disperse heat. They offer no performance advantage, just longevity over extended high rev applications. Whatever valves you choose, go with a reputable / quality brand. I've seen too many rebuilds using 'cheap' parts end up in tears. Quality beats 'price' every time. Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Postby 55panman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:44 pm

I don't know what Manley valves are available now, but their stainless valves had chrome plated stems and they would sometimes peel or chip. Had that happen on a Panhead and had to replace valves AND guides and do another valves job. Not happy!!
55panman

Next

Return to 1957 to 1969