Not really a short frame (Pic)

Classic short-frame models

Not really a short frame (Pic)

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm not sure where one of my bikes fits into this forum. It's actually a hybrid. What I call a Sporton - Sportster engine in a Norton frame.
What's more it's not a solo, it's a sidecar. But it IS a 1962 (nominal) engine and the sidecar is a road racer. (Historic).

To help with you guys deciding if you want this Frankenstien Machine in a section here I've attached a picture. If you think this is the wrong spot for it - just let me know and I'll slink quietly off into the night. (Well, not really as I have a couple other 60's CH's.)

"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Re: Not really a short frame (Pic)

Postby Kevin56 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 pm

I think it's interesting, in a god way. What does it handle like?
Kevin56

Postby ambike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Heavy Duty !!

What final drive ratio is run ?

Genuine R motor, or ____ ?
ambike

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:19 am

Handles pretty good for a Sidecar. Not getting enough traction at the moment and it's pushing the front end a lot. I'll be working on that shortly.

Engine is built with a set of NOS CH cases. S&S wheels and rods, JE pistons 1076cc's. Baisley (Dan himself) ported the heads for me and added a set of roller rockers. Andrews V9\s (from memory), chrome moly push rods, S&S Super B drinking Methanol.
Stock internals on Gearbox and engine/clutch. 19T front sprocket (for Carnell) but I'll be running 21 and 22T for the longer tracks.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby wz507 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 am

Ferrous_Head wrote:Engine is built with a set of NOS CH cases. S&S wheels and rods, JE pistons 1076cc's. Baisley (Dan himself) ported the heads for me and added a set of roller rockers. Andrews V9\s (from memory), chrome moly push rods, S&S Super B drinking Methanol.
Stock internals on Gearbox and engine/clutch. 19T front sprocket (for Carnell) but I'll be running 21 and 22T for the longer tracks.

Did it ever find it's way on to a dyno somewhere along the way? And yes, I know people are generally hesitant to quote dyno numbers for all the obvious reasons (who's dyno, brand of dyno, test day, etc). That said I would simply be interested in your number and will leave it at that. Thank you.
wz507

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 am

Ferrous:

Is the rig wearing a Norton TLS front brake?
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby Dirty dave » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi ! Glad to see this on here ! I too am building Sportster norton with a 54 norton bolt up wide line frame and a 66 Sportster motor . Have you got any pics of the motor mounts ? I would love to see them if you have thanks
Dirty dave

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Front brake is a 230mm Ceriani 4 Leading Shoe (Replica). Rear brake is a Triumph 8 inch Twin Leader. There is no better brakes on any P3 Sidecar in the world. Having said that I don't really use my brakes. But they are there if I ever need them or a seriously fast rider wants to "have a go" on my bike. I see them as "For emergency use only".

The engine is rubber mounted. My previous passenger complained about the vibrations so we rubber mounted this one. Works pretty well.

Pay no attention to most of the guys who advice you on putting a Sportster engine in a Featherbed frame. What is important (and nothing much else is) is that you get the chain run right. Sportster engines have thier sprockets on the right side and most other bikes have them on the left. The chain run will dictate where you mount the engine. Too many people wrongly assume and engine need to be mounted on it's centerline along the frame. Look at the Sportster engine and frame and you will see it's actually offet in the frame in relation to the engine centerline. The engine itseld is asymmetrical and having more or less weight on one side or the other of a frame doesn't really affect it's handling. You need to set your rear wheel up first. The chain run will be inside of the rear frame tubes - it runs close but there is room enough. You have to watch that the chain doesn't 'drag" on the swing arm - usually need a slipper pad there.

Ignition on my sidecar is provided by a front mount Morris Magneto using 2 of his MSF units to get single fire dual plug ignition. That magneto throws a spark you could weld with.
Ferrous_Head

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:46 pm

This is from Carnell Park last weekend. First race meeting for this new Sidecar. I'm very happy performance wise. Nothing out there will touch it in terms of acceleration.
Ferrous_Head

Return to 1957 to 1969