Vintage Burkhardt Stroker Motor

For Sale and Wanted Ads
Note - Ads expire after 60 days

Vintage Burkhardt Stroker Motor

Postby jOe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:37 pm

I have a vintage Burkhardt stroker motor I'd like to sell. I haven't listed it anywhere else yet. '60's era XLCH cases, 4 5/8" stroke,S&S rods and wheels,Sifton cams,dual plug heads,KR valves,Burkhardt aluminium trap door, 3 1/16" barrels. Call me at 714-345-5627. Maybe text first so I don't thinks it's a robocall. I have about 90 minutes of running time on it to seat the rings. FOB Indio,California.I know shipping will be a hassle, but there's a freight company around here that said they could crate and ship. That being a consideration, I'll entertain any reasonable offer. I have photos and videos I can send.
jOe

Re: Vintage Burkhardt Stroker Motor

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:42 pm

What kind of ignition system are we talking about with the dual plugged heads ?
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby jOe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 pm

No ignition system at the moment. I have compression releases in the extra plug holes. 12-1 compression. But I have run it with both a horizontal and a vertical magnetos. Not at the same time.
jOe

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:23 pm

Ok - Thanks.

I run a magneto with Morris MSf units. Works great. My comp is around 15 to 1.
I wish I could use compression release as the engine is a little hard to get started, OK on my rollers but I'd like to use a remote starter.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby jOe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Yeah, this one really was a pain in the knee to start. I’ve never been able to link videos on this forum, but I have some of it running . It’s a beast. Not for the faint of heart.
I’m guessing it’s one of the last Burkhardts left in captivity. Time to let it go, it’s not 1970 anymore.
jOe

Postby rufus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:26 pm

rufus

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:25 pm

jOe wrote:Yeah, this one really was a pain in the knee to start. I’ve never been able to link videos on this forum, but I have some of it running . It’s a beast. Not for the faint of heart.
I’m guessing it’s one of the last Burkhardts left in captivity. Time to let it go, it’s not 1970 anymore.

The engine in my sidecar is very similar spec to the one you have. I did have a Burqghardt door on it - but it gave me a little trouble and I took it off. I'm running it on Methanol and it's easy enough to start for what it is. Impossible to kick start. My electric rollers won't do it. And I have to use 4th gear on my battery rollers.

Dan Baisley (the man himself - not his shop) did the head work for me. A big chunk of change right there. All up the engine set me back over $8.000 to build. That's if you don't count my time. running around costs, postage etc. It was only that cheap becuase I knew where to get the right parts first time out as well. And had a little help from Dave Shaw at Norris, Neil Bolon at S&S Cycle, Sherri Filinger at JP Cycles, Dan Baisley and Ollie Logan amongst others. Oh and that doesn't actually include the cost of the NOS cases I have had for years.
I built it 4 tears ago and now it would probably cost over $10K to do another one.

I can post links. This is what it takes to start the Sporton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Sx0HNWjfU
Ferrous_Head

Postby jOe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Interesting to think about how much it would take to replicate it today. Also interesting to speculate how much it cost to build it in 1970-75 U.S. dollars.
The story goes that this was built for a customer back in the early’70’s who for whatever reason never picked it up.
My friend got a hold of it in some sort of trade deal and it sat under his bench for 30+ years. I got it from him some years ago and it in my shop until last year when I put it together and ran it to seat the rings and do some evaluations on it.
jOe

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:33 pm

It's getting very much harder to build these.

For a start almost no one ports Iron heads anymore. It;s too time consuming and so few people actually need one done. Alloy heads are quicker and easier. The porters can make a lot more money doing them.
Jeryy branch's partner Paul at offered to do a set for me about 4 years ago. But only after he found out Dan Baisley had done me a set and what I was using them for. I don't think he would consider them today.

The S&S rotating assemblies for 900 engines are only available as "Special Order" now. Np longer a stock part. I tried to get Ron Trock Jr to do a set of big bore cylinders but no dice. Falthead Power will do them for a price. I didn't bother asking what that was as I knew it would be astronomical. Custom made pistons are no problem but run about $400 a pair.

I can use these engines for racing in Australia as we are allowed to run Methanol. You can only use them as drag race engines in the USA. But the tracks have changed and now you get too much traction and you have to run a slipper clutch. It just all gets too hard and their are limited opportunities to use the engine in anger.

But ! Nothing else in Period 3 or Period 4 can touch me off the line or accelerating out of a turn. The big Meth burning Honda's will run me down before the end of the straight but they have to fight for it.
Ferrous_Head

Postby Simon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:31 am

I know it's primarily a race motor, but do you have a title for this engine? Matching numbers?

Thanks
Simon

Next

Return to Parts Exchange