Looking for 1958 XLCH or XLH frame

For Sale and Wanted Ads
Note - Ads expire after 60 days

Looking for 1958 XLCH or XLH frame

Postby Simon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:03 am

Hi everyone, I know it is a long shot, but does anyone have a 1958 date code XLCH frame they would be willing to part with?
Would be willing to consider an XLH frame (assuming it can be converted).

Thanks in advance!
Simon

Re: Looking for 1958 XLCH or XLH frame

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:59 am

Yeah, me too.

I have a 1958 XLCH engine but no frame.

I've never even bothered to look.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Simon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:39 am

Heh - was thinking of asking you if you wanted to part with yours, but there we go!
Simon

Postby Simon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:39 am

Heh - was thinking of asking you if you wanted to part with yours, but there we go!
Simon

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:53 pm

They didn't make many Sportsters in 1958 and hardly any CH's.

After a few years "cheap" bikes like Sportsters just become, well, old bikes. So they get abused, chopped and dropped. They get rode hard and put away wet. No one wants to spend much onn maintaining them because the new bikes are improved and better.

I shudder to think how many of these bikes actually went for scrap after 10-15 years.

Now, 60 years down the track collectors when they hit "Gold" with these things lock them away for safe keeping. Which often means until they die.

The 58 CH engine I have is far from stock. Very early in it's life it was turned into a full blown race engine. KHK flywheels and Big bore barrels. Came with an GAL carb but I was lucky enough to score the original DC 1L with the engine.

I have no intentions of trying to put this engine back to stock form though. I'm building it up to go into my 62 so I can ride it around and p*ss the neighbors off. (It's OK, they have dogs that p*ss me off)
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Something weird just happened.

I wrote my post, copied the contents as I always do now, answered the "secret" question ........

And it posted !

First time. Didn't have to tell them the frame is black 3 times and the throttle is on the right 5 times.

Are the Russians trying to interfere with our Forum ?
Ferrous_Head

Postby guy glover » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:16 pm

I've also been looking for A CH frame for about 5 years I have the original but it needs deraked and seat tabs added Only 2 other parts im missing is front pipe and handlebars without high low beam switch hole. Could use a good seat also
guy glover

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:04 pm

I managed to get a few parts along with the engine when I bought it.

Sorry, no bars. But I did get a set of NOS pipes along with the DC 1L. And a new still in the box regulator. They are not the same as the H regulator. Pretty rare. The correct 58 generator was there too but it had been on the (a) bike for years from the look of it.

Guys I bought it from told e there was a plan to ride the bike on the street when they first bought it but that never happened.

Got the seat but it need new foam and cover.

I just wish they had managed to keep the whole bike together. Someone had decided to disassemble the engine before I got a hold of it. Luckily the vast majority of the engine still intact.
Ferrous_Head

Postby guy glover » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:01 pm

I could be mistaken but pretty sure A58CH came with a block out plate and no generator since they came with no Lights or battery
guy glover

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:40 pm

That's correct. The guys I bought it from told me they (their Dad in fact) bought the lighting stuff some months (maybe a year) ?)after he bought the bike. He HAD intended to ride it on the street but said that never actually happened. There was some problem with the taillight or headlight, they couldn't really remember which.

But it got turned into a serious race bike shortly after that. Drag racing I am presuming. I forgot to get more details about the racing side. I really should have.
Ferrous_Head

Next

Return to Parts Exchange