Fork boots

Production K Models

Fork boots

Postby Nightrain00 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:06 pm

So my 56 kh had a 4” over 70-72 front end on it when I got it and I am attempting to put together a correct looking k front end. I got the correct sliders and had new bushings installed, had them re-chromed, and got new tubes. I am using the later style internals, and my dad had the idea to get an automotive seal of the correct size and we modified it to work as a seal. I also got boots and a boot hardware kit.

My question is in reference to the boot install kit. My kit came with the upper retaining disc, the upper fork boot retainer, the 2 vent screws, and 2 felt washers. I saw another kit on j&p that also came with paper gaskets that I don’t have.

So my first question is do I need the paper gaskets that I believe go between the upper retaining disc and the upper boot retainer?

And where do the felt washers go? None that I have seen have holes in them which leads me to believe they go under the upper fork boot retainer, after they are bolted to the lower tree, and before you stretch the boot over.
Nightrain00

Re: Fork boots

Postby strong56KH » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:32 pm

You can easily make the gaskets out of 1/16" cork sheeting available at most arts/crafts stores or order off the internet. As an outline, you can use the bottom flange of the fork tree or the lens-shaped upper side of the 46007-54A (upper boot retainer). Look at the 1963 Sportster parts manual in the literature section here and follow the order of assembly in the illustration. The earlier parts manuals show the boot vent screws upside down.
strong56KH

Postby Nightrain00 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. That’s how I thought it went. I just don’t understand why you would need a gasket between those 2 pieces, or what that felt ring does? But I guess who cares, just put it together the way it was Intended and don’t worry about it.
Nightrain00

Postby strong56KH » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:00 pm

I would suspect that the gaskets are for filling any irregularities between the mating surfaces of the tree flange and the boot retainer. As for the felt washer, could act as a dust or moisture seal.
strong56KH

Postby themike » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:27 pm

The felt acts as
a wiper for the upper tubes
themike

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK