Frames

Production K Models

Frames

Postby bloodyjack » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 am

I have just finished rebuilding a 1953 K model motor and now need a frame. This is a going to be a flat track type bike not a restore. I already have the bolt on rear end how late a frame can this motor fit in 1970?
bloodyjack

Re: Frames

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Even though you are planning to put a hardtail; I would not put a K motor in a sporty frame. I have the opposite -- a sporty motor in a '54 K frame. I absolutely love it. The geometry is a bit different between the two -- and I honestly enjoy the way the k frame handles. If you attend the Wauseon or Davenport swap meets; there is a better than average chance you can pick up the hard parts for a chassis (frame, swing arm, front end).

Now, to answer your question -- unless you plan to title this as a 1970 and up sportster, you want a 1969 and down frame. From 1970 forward, the VIN is the frame . . .creating a weird situation where by you'd have TWO valid VINs on one bike. I'd just assume avoid such a mess and go with a 52-69 frame.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby Flathead Fathead » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:34 am

If you're looking I have an extra frame I'm thinking about selling. It's not perfect it'll need some work. It's missing the date code but I believe it's an early frame ('52or'53).
Flathead Fathead

Postby jOe » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:01 am

Bolt on hard tail- be careful. Depending on what it is, you may need a ‘69 and earlier XLCH frame with straight rear down tubes. ‘67 up XLH frames and ‘70 and later have the set back rear down tubes. In which case the rear section might not line up .
I have a ‘65 XLCH in a KH frame with a Penner rear section- it’s an outstanding combination. The rear section bolted on- but it wasn’t easy! It took a couple of hours of manipulation to get the bolts in, but well worth the effort.
jOe

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK