Clutch Cover Push Rod Fitment

Production K Models

Clutch Cover Push Rod Fitment

Postby Mayday53 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Another dilemma: I just received my new Easter clutch plate push rods; Eastern says for 56-67 XLH but will fit my 55KHK clutch assembly. However, upon receipt found rods are different than one’s in bike. First off, the new “T push rod” is larger diameter and does not fit in “rod tunnel” as did the original “T-pin”. Second, the long middle pin taken out for restoration is almost 2” longer than longest pin in new set. I think I am going to try pins and use my original T-rod...thoughts?
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Clutch Cover Push Rod Fitment

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:46 pm

The 67 and later T=Rods are different and yes, a bigger diameter. They are for use with the 67 on main-shaft and clutch gears.

I suspect they have just sent you the wrong version.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Mayday53 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Original T-rod is same length and should be fine...BUT, the right pin in Eastern kit is too big of a diameter also. Then when comparing overall length of all at 3 rods and T-rods, it was same length as one long rod (originally in tunnel) and the shorter “left center”pushrod from new kit; I installed that way and it appears to work well. However, I am not sure of implications of using two internal pushrods and T-rod. Additional thought...if longest pushrod in motor for decades was not original and put in it by previous owner it should have failed I guess. He does not recall but said he had worked on it when he owned it (1955-2013). I simply cannot find any specs for the pushrods though, length, diameter, hardness, etc.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Lisa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:52 pm

The clutch adjustment is the trick if you go by the book it might not be right start that way then pull clutch and hold in and turn and see if there is a wobble ? if so adjust wobble out with clutch held in to get wobble out for perfect clutch adjustment if not in might not release fully but drag because of the wobble. Ben there done that and ended up with a perfect clutch = no drag easily find neutral at stop.
Lisa

Postby Mayday53 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks, I am running checks on it tonight and will do that. [*]
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK