55 KHK Clutch Set Up Advice Pleae

Production K Models

55 KHK Clutch Set Up Advice Pleae

Postby Mayday53 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Hey K Model team...I am setting up my KHK clutch and it is challenging. I converted the bike to a wet clutch and I am follwoing the Harley Rider's manual on how to adjust everything. I also have the recommended clearances for the clutch springs which according to the technical section's Harley bulletin, clutch assembly should be installed with following clearances:
1. Adjust nuts down to a spacing of 5/32" - 11/64" between top of spring cup and edge of pressure plate.
2. Fully compressed hand-lever moves plate out to at least 7/64
3. Adjust hand-lever cable to allow "very slight" movement, in lieu of 1/8 travel recommended in manual

I bought a new Clutch releasing disk (37876-52) today from J&P Cycles, I did that because the teeth ring on the original was warped about 1/16" between two of the spot welds. Given the tight tolerances, I assumed that warp may make contact and cause a hang up/hot spot on the outer clutch friction pad.

Any other good advice for me since I have three days before parts come in and I button her up again?

Thanks,

"Mayday"
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: 55 KHK Clutch Set Up Advice Pleae

Postby Lisa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 am

After all adjustments are made by the book pull lever in and secure to grip and turn and readjust to remove wobble if there isn't any lucky you - turn in one half (only) to any one that removes the wobble - mark them so you don't loose track and over tighten . Did all of mine like that and they work great after words. 53 54 55 67 69 K's & Ironhead's
Lisa

Postby Noot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:58 am

I run the Alto Reds (if I run wet) with early big twin clutch springs, with 5/16 SAE washers under the springs(since the springs are a bit shorter, but stiffer. Soak the plates a bit in designated(Primary Oil For Sportsters) Leave clutch basket cover off. Set it up just like factory specs. You might measure your "Alto red stack height" of the fibers and steels - and see where it is vs. the stock dry plates and steels for height. Then adjust your lock spring nuts and spacing to pressure plate accordingly. When all is said and done: You should be able to pull in the clutch(disengage) and turn the pressure plate (even though it turns kinda hard) with a bar between the studs to assist turning, when disengaged. After you run it awhile - it will keep working better and better. You want a little cable free-play at the clutch lever. :) It's the only "wet" system that works for me. The Kevlar Barnett system works too (same set up system). Otherwise - all my other bikes, I run dry (which I feel is the best way to go with a stock motor - and if you have good parts, seals, etc.)
Noot

Postby Mayday53 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Thanks for the tips...I will update when done with the adjustments; working on it this weekend.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK