55 KHK Oil Sumping - Topic Revisit

Production K Models

Re: 55 KHK Oil Sumping - Topic Revisit

Postby Ferrous_Head » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Some simple facts.

I asked you to send the parts back to Inlinefabrication which you refused to do. You asked for a pre paid label for shipping which was sent to you. You till didn't return them.

I asked you to ship them directly to me. You asked me for $120 to ship a pump and the pushrods and covers to me.

I KNOW what it costs to ship these parts.

I wasn't about to risk sending you $120 when I didn't know what parts you were likely to send to me. I simply don't trust you would send me the parts Paul sold to me.

The "back and forth" went on for weeks. Wih me spending a small fortune just on phobe class to get you to do the job.

Wher are the parts now ?

because I don't have them. Paul doesn't have them.

You never paid anybody for the parts you got. I suspect they have been onsold to one of your unlucky customers.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 pm

Whew...enough already please. The focus of the post...I just wanted to know how I can fix the problem and if there were alternatives to the manner in which Tom was offering. Not because I didn't trust him or think it would work, rather to avoid dismantling my bike I just finished and got running for the first time since 1978.

I have received a couple other opinions that tell me to accept that it is what it is and other solutions will slow down the drain but not eliminate it. They said to simply drain oil before letting it sit more than a week or two (i.e. pain in the a$$). That opinion of course is in direct conflict with the suggestions to re-engineer the seats in the pump. I like the idea of a new pump and I am debating about using the long ND winter to do that...it is that or drink beer and watch football I guess. Kidding, I actually have 6 mid-60's Ducatis I am rebuilding as well....they seem a bit easier but not as cool as the KHK.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:06 am

I raced Ducati singles for many years. They are extremely well engineered. And pretty easy to work on.

If the pump is leaking badly there are no easy options. It;s a real pain when you have the engine already in the frame. The pump can be removed without fully removing the engine but it's very nearly as bad as removing it from the frame. The engine can be moved sideways and the pump dropped out between the frame rails.

It's always possible that the pump is leaking from the check ball seat area. You can make a tool using a check ball (ball bearing) silver soldered onto the end of a short length of shaft steel. With a little valve grinding paste this can be used to lap in a new seat. You can use a hammer to just "tap" in the new seat area but I believe the grinding does a better job. You now have the problem of cleaning out the paste though.

The wet sump problem can become a nightmare with some engines. Other engines, not so much.

But if you do have an engine that regularly wet sumps it will do so at the most inopportune times. And eventually you get seriously tired of cleaning up the mess.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby leobrady » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 am

I use a half inch shut off valve with a large rag tied to the throttle on my 56. About 15 years now.
leobrady

Postby Lisa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 am

The gear housing is a cast part = ball seat's usually have a gouge in them from a very tiny air pocket and the very best way to clean it up is to CUT it down with a tool. This ball stuff with compound is a waste of time in my opinion and you can lap all day long and get nowhere. Ben there done that. From experience this is what I have found rebuilding many K and ironhead oil pumps.
Last edited by Lisa on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

Postby hayleyl » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Hello all - my two cents worth. If you have a check 'ball' situation in your oil pump, lapping the seat is preferable to cutting the seat. Cutting greatly reduces sealing area and will promote rapid wear. And please stop the school yard crap on this forum. He said, she said - I don't care and I'm sure other readers/members don't care either. Time to grow up. Cheers Hayley
hayleyl

Postby hi-peral » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:39 pm

Damn ...sounds like a bunch of Canadian Politicians
hi-peral

Postby Lisa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Every body has the right to there opinion even if I or you don't agree but in my opinion I would go with the one that has done the most and has proven an accomplishment in this area. Again my opinion. OH nobody is going to tell lies about me and get away with it I defend myself and won't allow it. It's a matter of principle.
Lisa

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Time to grow up. Cheers Hayley

What ? Grow up ? You mean give up all my "toys" and become a man ?

That's a very scary thought.
Ferrous_Head

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK