Body Filler????

Production K Models

Body Filler????

Postby Mayday53 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:23 am

Question for those with experience, both good and bad. I media blasted the tins on my 53 K model, worked out the dents as much as possible without an English wheel or other large metal working tools, and now I need to get a good finish prior to final priming and painting. So here is my question:

What kind of body filler is best for an old bike like mine? My concerns are vibration, product shrinkage, paint staining, etc. I have looked at the following but still am not fully swayed to a particular product:

BONDO: Concerned about shrinkage, long-term durability, paint staining, cracking from air pockets in product
RAGE: I don't know much about this product, but I read some folks suggesting it
JB WELD: I saw a few folks recommend this for small dents (pea sized or so)

Thoughts and opinions welcome...

Brian
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Body Filler????

Postby jOe » Thu May 07, 2015 11:19 pm

It's close to being a lost art,but would be period correct= lead. I filled in some dents on a K Model oil tank some years ago with lead and the results were quite good.
jOe

Postby Mayday53 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:49 am

Isn't that very similar to using JB weld, from an application and effect point of view?
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:54 am

Here are the tins after a bit of primer touch up and prior to applying any filler or glaze. I will strip and rough up the areas needing filler, then glaze the whole tank and wet sand to make smooth as ass.
Attachments
Primered Tins May 7, 2015.jpg
Primered Tins May 7, 2015.jpg (308.74 KiB) Viewed 11220 times
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:55 am

Ooops, I meant glass....
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby sean » Fri May 08, 2015 12:49 pm

im not a body man but i have used jb weld in the past for tempory fixs..i think it might not be the best choice for a body filler as it could react with the paint unlike body filler wich is designed to be painted over and grip well.my 52 fenders had been brazed in a few areas many years ago.i uncovered when i removed a few layers of paint...stick to what your painter uses every day.
sean

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat May 09, 2015 11:17 am

Hi folks. Regular bondo is state of art these days and works great. Normally you want to do all the filling first than primer next. Bondo has to go on the bare steel I believe. Than follow with quality primer such as epoxy based type for durability. I didn't know the oil cap fits on the gas tank! I have a few AMF era non Eaton stamped NOS gas caps left, posted on Ebeer. $29.95 shipped priority mail. Seller EKHKHK56. Keep up the great work! Erik
EKHKHK56

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK