K frame opinion

Production K Models

K frame opinion

Postby drumbrake » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:36 pm

I have a frame that came with a basket case. I have identified it as a K frame from the excellent frame technical information on this website.
Unfortunately the previous owner sent it in to get a hard tail put on it. The neck was smoothed by an owner before that.
I asked the guy if he got the rear of the frame returned to him, he did not.
I would like to think if someone sent a good K frame in for this modification that a reputable shop would suggest cutting up a newer more common long frame.
Although maybe all of the smoothing had already reduced any historic value. I will never use it.
I am wondering if I should worry about preserving what is left or is it too far gone?
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (162.59 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (118.03 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (124.52 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
drumbrake

Re: K frame opinion

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Well it looks pretty well cooked. This style has become popular with some people. I don't think it would be worth trying to go back to stock. If you are selling I think a paint job and sell as is probably best. Is it even true? I did a hardtail conversion once and the weldon tail had different length legs and was twisted new. Someone tossed it in the "Ship to Alaska" bin. I have gotton lied to and cheated on half the K parts I bought in 80s and 90s from individuals, mostly, and dealers in trader magazines. Back then a fuzzy polaroid was only image and there was no K information logically available . Kirk, Sporty Specialties Calif, always sold me exactly what he described and was a big help. He is still helping K & XL enthusiasts with parts and info. Bills Custom Cycle is another great family source. NY. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby drumbrake » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:18 pm

It looks straight to me.
He sent the frame directly to the place that made the tail.
I believe it was LedSled customs.
I would like to think they would have used some kind of jig.
drumbrake

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:29 am

Thats a good company and also makes it valuable for a custom build. In Japan I see more Ks done hardtail than stock...If you don't have plans for it I would paint it and market it...or build a dirt tracker K etc.
EKHKHK56

Postby drumbrake » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:47 am

Thanks for the replies, I thought it was probably too far gone, but it was worth getting a second opinion.
I hate to see original parts butchered.
I will probably sell it, or trade for a complete short frame.
My hope would be to get it to somebody thinking about cutting up another original frame.
drumbrake

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK