Head gasket?

Production K Models

Head gasket?

Postby ClintsMotorcycles » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:59 pm

Hello,

56KHK

I know that the K does not have head gaskets. My XR-1000 does not either. I read someplace that some K model Shop-Dope said to smear aluminum paint on the cylinder head and cylinders prior to assembly so I looked at my XR-1000 factory service manual to see what it said. The XR-1000 does not state that any type of sealant is required, just clean everything up and torque the 4 bolts down and you are good to go. The XR-1000 has only 4 cylinder head bolts, while the K has 8. You would think that with 8 cylinder head bolts torqued down properly, that there would be no sealing issues. Just curious as to why paint would be required on the K.
ClintsMotorcycles

Re: Head gasket?

Postby dlxl66elxl » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Although a bit off topic, I have been riding and flogging my race kitted XR1000 for three decades and have broken just about everything once. Regarding the no head gaskets on those motors, I did experience a head burn through on one head. I found that if you lap the head to the cylinder with valve lapping compound you get a tight seal. I do this every time I remove and reinstall a cylinder head.
dlxl66elxl

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK