Clutch Hub Advice

Production K Models

Clutch Hub Advice

Postby hd54kh » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi all, my clutch hub seems to be missing Clutch sprocket bearing washer p/n 37731-52 thru 37734-52 depending on thickness. Not sure of what mine had originally as I rode the bike took it apart too long ago to remember (my bad but familiar story), had to have something there to take up the space. The washer should have been behind the clutch starter 33380-52A before it was riveted on. I"m not sure what the previous owner did but I would like to correct it.

How do I go about figuring out what thickness washer is needed and I guess the only way is to R&R the rivets and clutch starter to install it. I have two other clutch hubs, a clutch starter and rivets here so maybe just the washer and labor is all that is needed.

Terry

DSC_5851 Resize.jpg
DSC_5851 Resize.jpg (484.82 KiB) Viewed 17726 times
hd54kh

Re: Clutch Hub Advice

Postby sportsterpaul » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Dr. Dick discussed what he does on this post:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/show ... stcount=38

It is part of his great series on eliminating kicker slip:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/show ... ?t=1172767

Full disclosure, I am SportsterPavel on that forum, as SportsterPaul was already taken.

One trick is to flip the thrust washer over since it wears in a narrow band on the backing washer side. Next time I get in this far, I plan to get a full set of new washers, or maybe figure things out with a washer and some platigage, bolting up the plate with screws just to check the fit. Tighter is good, but it can't bind of course.

I wonder how your setup could even work. That missing thrust washer is clamped onto the clutch gear when you tighten the hub down. Is this an electric start bike? Did someone stuff the dual-row Torrington bearing into your kick-start basket and leave out the thrust washer? Is this a basket case that never ran? Let us know if this is an electric start basket. I would drill out the rivets and then send pictures, as well as a picture of the back of the pawl plate.

You are right, you have to fix this. The manual is pretty straightforward. You drill out the rivets, push the Torrington back where it belongs, but better yet, please replace it since the needles have taken all kinds of oblique loads. There is a seal that goes on the inside of the basket. Then you need to either measure the gap or collect the whole set of different thicknesses and trial fit things, maybe with screws temporarily holding the kicker pawl plate on.

There are two washers that go in there. One is the backing washer which you may be missing 37721-54, the other is the thrust washer that comes in varying thicknesses to take out the play, 37731-52, 37732-52, 37733-52, 37735-52. You need this to be tight, otherwise the whole clutch basket will sag, especially when you apply the clutch. That means it will not engage smoothly or not disengage completely. The sag is also why my kickstart gear hung up and made my kicker slip. Dr. Dick notes that holding the clutch in at lights, like I do, wears out the thrust washer much faster. Buy the parts manual or download it from this site. Buy the service manual for your year too, its called "the Bible" for good reason.

Needless to say, like everything in a K or Iron Sportster, you need a brain. If the back of the kicker plate (33379-57) riveted into the clutch basket is worn or damaged, you need a new one of those. Either way, you will need the 12 rivets (8215). Many folks put a miniscule dab of silicone on the underside of the rivets, so oil does not seep into the basket. Any silicone that gets into the needles will destroy the bearings. Some guys like that red stuff instead of silicone, glyptol or whatever-- the aircraft guys use it.

There are plates and kicker gears with different numbers of pawls. They inter-operate one way but not the other-- I never put much stock in any of them. More pawls never stop a slipping kicker. Getting this thrust washer right and making sure the bushing on the sliding kicker gear is nice and tight is what does it. Make sure that the gear drops all the way into the pocket where the thrust washer is and engages the pawls 100%. That is why I had to take my '62 back apart and machine down the brass bushing so it it did not interfere with the plate.

Dr. Dick bypasses all the fitting and just machines the basket so it is dead perfect. I don't have a Bridgeport. Drilling out the rivets was much easier than I thought it would be. You use a bigger drill than you think is right, since you are trying to drill out the head, not the body. Once the head is gone you can tap it out with a pin punch. Putting the rivets in I used an air chisel with a flat punch bit, it was hard to control but it sure did get the rivets tight. I am sure competent people can use a ball peen hammer and get good results. You do need the rivets, countersunk screws will not take the shear loads from kicking.
Last edited by sportsterpaul on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportsterpaul

Postby sportsterpaul » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:37 pm

I dug throught my pictures. I mean to put this up on my website, but I suspect you want to get right on this so here are some pics. The gang will chime in if I did something wrong or stupid. Or maybe I should say stupider, since I replaced the plate when the real problem was the thrust washer and the gear bushing clearance.

As I look at the pictures, I realize I might have had good luck with the rivets since I am now finally old enough to not be an idiot. First thing-- cernterpunch the rivets. I went from this side:
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-centerpunch.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-centerpunch.jpg (143.83 KiB) Viewed 17703 times

Next center drill with a small drill, in a drill press if you have one:
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-center-drill.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-center-drill.jpg (136.02 KiB) Viewed 17703 times

Note how well the little holes are centered on the rivets:
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-center-drilled.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-center-drilled.jpg (146.35 KiB) Viewed 17703 times

The rubber stopper is to keep chips from falling into the bearing.

Three pictures per post-- so keep reading
sportsterpaul

Postby sportsterpaul » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:47 pm

OK, really jammin' now, as Zappa would say. Click on the picture to banish the scroll bars, or you can right-click and view it.

I sized the drill-out drill based on the countersinks in the new plate, I figured it must be close to the plate that I was drilling out.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-drill-size.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-drill-size.jpg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 17702 times

I never had to drill into the plate, the rivet head spirals out before the drill touches the plate. I should have reused this plate instead of replacing it. Live and learn and read anything Dr. Dick posts, anywhere, anytime.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-drill-head.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-drill-head.jpg (105.13 KiB) Viewed 17702 times

Note how undamaged the plate is. No need for silicone on this side, the oil can come in all over the place.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-drilled-heads.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-drilled-heads.jpg (134.8 KiB) Viewed 17702 times
sportsterpaul

Postby sportsterpaul » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:03 pm

I used a gasket scraper to pry the plate up, its not too sharp so it does not dig into the metal. That is the thrust washer you are mussing.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-thrust-washer_37731-52_37732-52_37733-52_37735-52.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-thrust-washer_37731-52_37732-52_37733-52_37735-52.jpg (167.09 KiB) Viewed 17701 times

Here is that back up washer. It is kept from rotating by a little pin. You should put in the pin if it is missing, it makes sure the thrust washer is wearing, and not the backing washer. This is where Dr. Dick just machines everything dead true.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-spacer-washer_37721-54.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-spacer-washer_37721-54.jpg (115.08 KiB) Viewed 17701 times

I sized the center-punch by sticking it through the plate. Too big and it ends up jammed into the hole. You don't want a hardened steel pin stuck into your clutch basket.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-pin-punch.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-pin-punch.jpg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 17701 times

I figured to leave the rubber stopper in the thrust washer to keep the bearing clean. The fact that I am in a hurry and not replacing the bearing or the seal shows I am an idiot.
sportsterpaul

Postby sportsterpaul » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:19 pm

A tale of two rivets, the old one and a new one. The new ones came with the new pawl plate I installed. I think it is Sifton.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-old-rivet-new-rivet.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-old-rivet-new-rivet.jpg (120.07 KiB) Viewed 17700 times

I set the basket in my wonderful Wilton vise, since the jaws will back up 4 rivets, and I can rotate the basket to put the jaws under any rivet I want. Its not clamped tight, just sitting on the vise.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-back-up.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivet-back-up.jpg (120.12 KiB) Viewed 17700 times

After my brutality with a 50-year-old Snap-On air chisel, the heads of the rivets got bashed down pretty well. I think I put a little silicone under them, or in the holes first. The real oil leak is from a loose thrust fit, that makes the basket sag, that cants the lip where the seal is, and in comes the oil. I only realized this after reading Dr. Dick. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8)
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivets-peened.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-rivets-peened.jpg (120.09 KiB) Viewed 17700 times

I have always hated peening rivets in the rear brake drum, since I can never seem to get them tight. The air chisel peening was brutal, but the rivets are tight. I did have it get away from me on one and "tapped" the seal flange. My bad, time to learn to use a hammer, or maybe peen them from the other side. Lets see what the gang says.

That's all for now, but if you take this on, let us know how it goes or is going.
sportsterpaul

Postby thefrenchowl » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi

I don't like the idea of an air chisel for rivets!!!

For one I'm not that strong and wouldn't be able to aim right!!!

I made a tall spacer that fit inside the hub, it fits flush with the rivet PCD then locate both under my hand lever press fitted with a suitable bit, heat one rivet red, press down, rotate 1/2 turn for next rivet etc... The rivets collapse and fit the hole a lot better...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby hd54kh » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Thanks Paul, the clutch never felt right and was one of the reasons for digging into the bike at the time. Vibration and shutter were a dead give away. I did find another home made washer that might have been used as a spacer, fits and pretty ugly.

Well first I should figure out the best clutch hub for my bike, I have three. The main difference is where they are extended for the additional clutch plates and 2 of them have a closed lip on the inside (seal side?) and one is open. All three have some kind of issue so I will consider them as cores. One has excellent sprocket teeth the others ??.

Clutch hubs side by side:

DSC_5838 resized.jpg
DSC_5838 resized.jpg (486.83 KiB) Viewed 17669 times

Closed inner area:

DSC_5850 resized.jpg
DSC_5850 resized.jpg (425.86 KiB) Viewed 17669 times

Open inner area:

DSC_5855 Resized.jpg
DSC_5855 Resized.jpg (452.36 KiB) Viewed 17669 times

The differences on the extensions are one looks stamped in place, one looks spot welded and one has an additional rib around it. One even has the starter clutch welded and not riveted, one has 6 rivets and 18 teeth, one is missing a couple of the blocks around the perimeter.... all of them need something.

The 37721-54 shows up in the 1956 parts book but not the 1954 parts book. So first is to determine which hub to start with and build from there. I do have a new starter clutch and rivets. Will need bearing, seal and thrust washer.

Terry
hd54kh

Postby sportsterpaul » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:09 pm

I think the "extended" clutch baskets you refer to are for Sportsters. They will fit and work, but the K-model primary cover will no longer fit, as the clutch is too big. So switching to the deeper baskets means finding more plates, more steels, a Sportster hub, and I suspect the push rods in the mainshaft also change. You might also need the "clutch gear extension" that Sportsters used. Then you have to find a Sportster primary cover.

I am assuming from your user name that this is for a 1954 K-model, right?

Am I right that the basket centers you are showing are disassembled? It does not look like there is any rivets in them. Also note, there is supposed to be a gasket under that center piece, at least according to the way it looks in the part's book. I never touched that piece, I was just replacing the kicker pawl plate.

Are there two K-model baskets you have, one that is in the bike and the one that you had in the picture of the four baskets? If not, I think your best bet is to stick with the basket you had in there, and just make it right. That the bike ran with no thrust washer is amazing. This means that the clutch hub gets tightened against the inner sleeve and is way too close to the kickstarter gear, unless it ran out of threads and maybe that would be a blessing since it would allow some clearance for the kickstarter to work.

Fantastic work noticing this and deciding to fix it.
sportsterpaul

Postby sportsterpaul » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't like the idea of an air chisel for rivets!!!

Ha! neither did I after trying it. You can see bash marks where it banged on the edge of the center piece. Then it got away from me and bashed the seal flange, and I knew it was an idiot play. I should have had Stooges music playing.

I feel like a double idiot now, since I have a 15-ton press I bought to push flywheels out of cases (not that it should ever take that much.) I absolutely love the idea of heating the rivets up, That has to make the tightest joint possible. I assume you use an oxyacetylene torch while the rivet was in the hole. Maybe you heated them up outside and dropped them in red-hot.

Your method sounds like the ideal way to do it. This will teach me to buy a seal next time and a bearing and to do it right. Oh, here is a picture of troglodyte air chisel I used-- double idiot alert.
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-eve-of-destruction.jpg
Iron-Sportster-dry-clutch-eve-of-destruction.jpg (126.23 KiB) Viewed 17662 times

You are right-- it is impossible to control. My favorite was when it would be at a part of the stroke when the air just leaked, and then I would press it down or let it fall and them bam bam bam. What savagery. Leave it to the French Canadian to do it the civilized way. Merci beaucoup mon ami.
sportsterpaul

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK