speedo mounts

Production K Models

speedo mounts

Postby gabbyjon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:16 pm

whats the consensus on the early ridged mount speedos and the later rubber mounted,I am building a 54 but have the rubber mount set up.Not correct but I believe would be a better set up as far as protecting the speedo from vibration damage.Does anyone know where I could get the early correct face so as to make it look correct and get the advantage of the rubber mounts?What do you think about this?
gabbyjon

Re: speedo mounts

Postby JerrryR » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi Gabbyjon,
The speedo change I believe was a running change in 54 at Vin 2250 (see parts book). It was at this point that I believe the speedos changed with the change in top and bottom trees. The top tin I believe also changed at this point in that it had the "V" cut out at the rear and the speedo hole is slightly larger I believe to accommodate the increased vibration due to the rubber mounting as opposed to the ridged mount -52 speedo. Note, this is what I think, it is not necessarily correct.
Take care,
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:51 am

To make the 57 & 58 XL Speedometer look like a 55 & 56 K Speedometer you have to change the Dial, the Needle & the Odometer Wheels. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:01 am

Jerry do you have original top covers with different size speedo holes? I know the repro top covers with speedo hole have a hole much larger than what the 52-58 speedometer needs. They were used on the FX also besides XL. That is why they are bigger. You can fit a larger speedo in those repro ones with speedo hole. When I used repro top covers I bought the solid ones, no speedo hole and machined a 52-58 size hole in it. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK