Production K Models

Re: kh 54 spoke colours

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:31 pm

They look so nice and they are durable!
EKHKHK56

Postby fulvio » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:00 pm

hennesse wrote:
DaveC wrote:Regarding the spokes for the half brake front wheel, Buchannan's makes a correct gauge center reduced stainless steel spoke and nipple set. They are however not dimensionally identical to nor interchangeable with the OEM HD carbon steel spokes and nipples. They also have a small B on the head end of the spoke, which can be removed by careful sanding. If you do not media blast the spoke and nipples to simulate cadmium plating, the AMCA will deduct a 1/4 point for each wheel. If you use those spokes on the front wheel, you will probably need to use stainless steel on the rear wheel to match.

I used those spokes with the above described modifications on the 53 KRM in the gallery section.

Buchanan sells both stainless and plain steel spokes (perhaps not every configuration). I agonized over the decision, but then ordered the stainless for both front and rear of my 54 KH with 19" wheels, since I plan to ride the bike, and the stainless will never rust. I sent them samples of the 4 different spokes and nipples. You are right - they are not identical, but the spokes are so close that nobody will notice (except maybe you Dave). The nipples however, are a different story - the flats on my originals are .20 long, while the flats on the Buchanan nipples are .40 long.

There's a story in the latest AMCA magazine about a 1915 Henderson with incorrect nipples - the nipples had 4 flats instead of 2. The owner went ahead and changed the nipples to get that last 1/4 point. A 1915 Hen is worth at least $200K. A 1954 KH is worth $20K. I think I can live with a 1/4 point deduction.

Excuse me for OT: a 1954 KH is worth $20K? I'm writing from Italy, and is not an easy thing to understand how is worth..
fulvio

Postby hennesse » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:38 pm

fulvio wrote:Excuse me for OT: a 1954 KH is worth $20K? I'm writing from Italy, and is not an easy thing to understand how is worth..

Fulvio,

I was really just comparing the relative values of the two bikes. Most of the K and KH bikes in very nice condition sell in the $10K to $15K range. However, an absolutely perfect AMCA 100-point restored bike could go as high as $20K. Take a look at John Hewson's 1953 K on the Gallery page. That is a very nicely restored bike with all the accessories. It was for sale at $17K - he sold it, but I don't know how much. Take a look at Don Chasteen's 1957's on the Gallery page - I think he was asking $25K for one of those two. The 1957 Sportster commands a higher price than other years, simply because it's the first year of the Sportster. And those are about as perfect as they come.

Most of the K and KH you see are not very good examples. Take a look at this one. At first glance, it looks nice. But this supposedly 1953 KK has a 1954 gas tank, 1954 headlight, 1957 speedometer, magneto (shouldn't it have a circuit breaker ?), 1955 or 1956 instrument panel cover, 1954-later seat, etc., etc. Rust, wrong finishes, etc.

On the other hand, Chuck Sherman's 1954 and Dave Swanson's 1956 are pretty close to perfect...
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:53 pm

I have a friend in Japan who just bought a 54 for $16,000 & looked at a 55KH that was $23,000 last week. The 55 had many errors even wrong frame. The 54 is very close...but not a100 pointer. These are actually valued for excellent condition at about $22K for a 54 and $18K for a 55. This is due to the 50th Anniversary designation on the 54 model. NADA guides. On the spokes Kenny Buchanan mentioned that the front K stock spokes are a touch spindly and has larger next guage up ones that fit after a small nipple hole enlargement on the rim. For custom or competition that is a good idea. I have a set but haven't compared to stock yet. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby thefrenchowl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:37 pm

If you're thinking too much about the value of your bike, you'll forget how to ride it... ; = )
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:02 pm

It's good to see values appearing up where they should be. Yes ride those Ks! Some of the best times of my life riding were on a rat chopped worn out 55KHK. I wouldn't sell my 56KHK when done for $30K. I modern pickup truck which is totally out of this world for what I like in a pickup can be bought anywhere for $40K. Modern junk- have no use for it
Erik K
EKHKHK56

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK