Mystery of the day, C stamped KH or KHK cases

Production K Models

Mystery of the day, C stamped KH or KHK cases

Postby thefrenchowl » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:21 am

Hi,

My 54 KHK, the Bonneville bike, has a C stamped in front of the serial...

This 55 KHK (exploded cases only) at the moment on ebay is the same:

When is this mystery gonna be solved???

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Re: Mystery of the day, C stamped KH or KHK cases

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:22 am

Haha I saw that. Clearly stamped C. Marsh Runyon, Joe Leonard's tuner builder in 57 said they always stamped their WR transmissions with a C for close ratio. KR engines built and on the shelf were sometimes tagged C also if so equipped. But he sounded way more positive about the WR C than than K Cs. Hard to remember 60 years ago! Perhaps this was an indicator of close ratio transmission set up. However I'm not sure. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:27 am

Hello folks. One thing for sure. All types of Ks were raced starting in 52. Perhaps this blown up 55KHK had a racing life, with the C added for close ratio? This topic was out before with no real solid answer just ideas. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby thefrenchowl » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:49 am

Hi,

My guess also, close ratio,

But it'll be nice if someone could find some OEM info straight from the horse's mouth as we say in GB...

By the way, depending on seller's answer about international shipping, I'll probably bid a bit on these cases...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby hennesse » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:50 am

The C stands for Chopper, Modded, and Bobber - so we know what web page to put them on. ;----)

The D was stamped on the cases as the different dowels (Sportster-type) were a permanent aberation from the normal configuration.

Close-ratio gearing could easily be changed, but the C would be stamped on the cases forever. So I'm guessing it signifies something more permanent. But since I was only 3 years old in 1955, my memories are somewhat vague.

Those 55 KHK cases on eBay - the belly numbers are butchered up, but the 555 part looks original. The casting number is -54, don't see any date code though.

What begins with "C" ???
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby thefrenchowl » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Me, I sort of believe in logic...

If "D" cases mod was the 1st serious modification on the K, it would have been stamped "A"

If "D" was referring to Door, it don't make much sense since H-D calls it an Access Cover

If it's stamped "D" and it's got nothing to do with any of the above, we can safely assume mod A, then mod B, then mod C preceeded mod D

So although mod C for close ratio looks attractive, I, like Dave, don't see it essential enough to require a stamp on the cases... Have you seen the list of KR ratios???? 12 of them have a letter name...

But one thing for sure, when they looked in the mod book for the dowel mod, they said Oh, we had mod C last couple of year, let's call this one mod D...

Now, what were mod A and mod B, certainly not on K, could be Pan, could be Knuckle, Servi Car... Hummer???

; O )

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
thefrenchowl

Postby JerrryR » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi All,

C Stamped 54 KHK Optimized.jpg
C Stamped 54 KHK Optimized.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 13980 times

C Stamped 55 KH Optimized 2.jpg
C Stamped 55 KH Optimized 2.jpg (74.31 KiB) Viewed 13980 times

D Motor Cases 001.jpg
D Motor Cases 001.jpg (266.94 KiB) Viewed 13980 times

Have a great day,
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby JerrryR » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:48 pm

On the topic of letters what does the "S" mean? Also do these notes from a Riders handbook shed any light on the "C"?
JerryR

58  XL Left Side Case with S stamped.jpg
58 XL Left Side Case with S stamped.jpg (222.28 KiB) Viewed 13978 times

Gear Ratio Page from 55 Handbook2.JPG
Gear Ratio Page from 55 Handbook2.JPG (83.22 KiB) Viewed 13978 times

Gear Ratio Page from 55 Handbook1.JPG
Gear Ratio Page from 55 Handbook1.JPG (91.01 KiB) Viewed 13978 times
JerrryR

Postby hayleyl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:44 am

Hello all - my 20 cents worth (or two bobs worth) as we say in Australia. I suggest mystery letter is simply a work group letter or identifier, nothing more, nothing less. 54KHK - that's got to be amongst the first lot of KHK ever built? May have been a recall / modification through the production process or something similar. As Patrick said, there are too many KR ratios to group under one letter. And the 'S' on both sides of the 58XL pad look to be upside down. Maybe the '58 belonged to Sam Smith or Sally Schwinn? Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK