transmission

Production K Models

transmission

Postby sean » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:37 am

now that ive found out i have a incorrect second gear from the engine builders for my 52 k project,ive noticed harley changed things up at least 3 times with the tranny gearing.mainshaft and counter shaft diameter changed in 54 i beleave as well did the number of teeth on the gears.i have a second gear with 24 teeth and i should have one with 25 teeth im told for a 52...is the 24 tooth gear from a 54-56? ive seen a couple 26 tooth gears available but no 25.did they switch to 26 tooth for second gear in 56? or was it for a kr model?...any one have a 25 tooth second gear available?...im at a stand still till one is found....or spend more cash and convert my cases to accept the 54 gear set i have as a spare.just being one gear away from a complete 52 set id rather find the correct gear and keep it all 52 down below.
sean

Re: transmission

Postby hennesse » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:01 am

Sean,

No gears here. But I was experimenting with a little idea of mine, and just happened to use the transmission gears for the experiment.

http://www.harleykmodel.com/database In the "Enter Part Number" box, type in: 35* then click Go. You will get a listing of the transmission gears as they changed through the years.

The idea is to scan all the Parts Books, and convert them (OCR) to plain text - which could imported into a database of parts. Then you could search the database to find what goes on what. The experimental database is actually pretty close to final form, but the only data in it is transmission, and I hand-typed all the data into it.

The problem is the OCR (optical character recognition) process - the OCR programs I've tried do a truly horrible job on the parts books. Not only do they make little mistakes, they make huge mistakes, and so far, are totally unusable. I'll keep investigating, but even after I find a suitable OCR program, it will still be a multi-year project. Or an eternity. But enjoy the gears for now.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby sean » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:25 pm

thank you dave.that clears up alot of questions.except for the location of that dusty old box on a shelf holding my 35297-52 25 tooth gear !. that will be a great resource for people. well done.
sean
sean

Postby strong56KH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Skip's Cycles in Winchester, VA lists one. 540-723-0351. Ask for Sally. Skip is the son of the old Winchester Harley-Davidson and has a shed full of parts. He wants a lot of dough for his stuff so be prepared to pay.
strong56KH

Postby sean » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:31 pm

i got a tip about them today.i called and spoke with a woman who said they have one listed but i would need to wait and speak with the owner on monday after the holidays to see if it was still available....i have my fingers crossed !...i did also come across another lead today,and found a mainshaft, second gear with 25 teeth, clutch gear and third gear with no dog wear but covered in rust...its a costly price for the assembly but a guy has to do what needs to be done to finish the project...i am sitting on that untill i hear back from skips on monday...may not be bad having a spare mainshaft and third gear..either way i feel alot better.thanks for the info.
sean

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:52 pm

Let me know if you still need the gear. I have a few, was going to look Wed-Thurs. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby sean » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:00 am

if you find one erik let me know,i wont hear back untill monday about the other one at skips and id rather buy just the gear and not the assembly as per my second lead...have cash and ready to buy from the first that can produce the 25 tooth gear...or trade if your after anything i have. 54 tranny set, 52 barrels,heads,kicker assembly,shifter pawl,some orig hardware...
sean

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:12 am

Also the rust factor is interesting on some old steel. My 52K Barnster Cams were in the weather for years as the cover was pulled about an inch out. It was chained to a tree at that point, out at the lake with 150 other vehicles since 1972. With the shift shaft broken, it was parked. The cams were Very rusty looking, after glass beading it was evident that it was `surface rust`, as they looked like new after a light dusting. Will measure them before use but look great. Minor pitting is ok on some parts, called oil retention chambers, :shock: not bad with the 70 weight oil ... Same with the crusty headlight, a little Mother`s and light polishing and the lamp shines almost like new. They knew how to put the chrome on back then. Happy Thanksgiving to all and I am thank full for K Models, you all, and Super Dave`s website!!! ;)
EKHKHK56

Postby hennesse » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:30 pm

strong56KH wrote:Skip's Cycles in Winchester, VA lists one. 540-723-0351. Ask for Sally. Skip is the son of the old Winchester Harley-Davidson and has a shed full of parts. He wants a lot of dough for his stuff so be prepared to pay.

Their parts list has not been updated in a long time. It includes goodies like NOS ignition switches! But they're long gone. I did find a few goodies I was interested in, but the prices were pretty stiff.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby sean » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:18 am

thank you erik for your offer but ive bought the mainshaft assembly ive found...
sean

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK