wheel building

Production K Models

wheel building

Postby sean » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:50 am

bought my project with the rims and hubs apart...anyone know what the offset is for the rear when i have them relaced?....or should i send them off to buchanans for the extra bucks and not worry if my local wheel builder gets it right...
sean

Re: wheel building

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:26 pm

With correct spokes, rims & hubs they should almost lace themselves! Kenny Buchanan is a great and very helpful guy. Their Stainless Steel Spoke Sets are the best. Rears go right together. Fronts you need to decide if you want to upgrade to next bigger spoke which is recommended, however your rim must have spoke holes slightly enlarged. Do before rechrome of course. Front rim has different nipple hole alignment with pancake brakes compared to any other rim made for H-Ds. Any Harley looks great with chrome rims and SS spokes. I understand the SS spokes have been accepted as correct for restorations in general.
EKHKHK56

Postby levelhead » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:11 am

Hey Sean,
Looking at my original 53 rolling chassis with 19" rims and early 52-53 rear hub (like your 52)
rim spacing
rear wheel- left side, 1/2" from rim edge to hub flat side.
front wheel- right side, dead center from rim edge to spoke flange.
Scott M
levelhead

Postby sean » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:40 am

thanks scott...i sent the pictures to you of the jugs this morning...also a couple pics from harley k model on facebook of a krm and another racer.
sean
sean

Postby sean » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:25 pm

also need a oil feed line fittings that connect the rubber oil line to tank feed and motor fitting elbow,i have the tank fitting and elbow,just need the compression nuts 63527-52 and seals 63529-52.i would take a whole assembly or just the nuts...
sean

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK