Fork Tube Caps

Production K Models

Fork Tube Caps

Postby starcain » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Has anyone ever noticed the difference in the early fork tube caps? I recently purchased a set as I only had one extra in my drawer. When they arrived I compared them to the ones I have on my KK and they are the same but when I compared them to the one extra I had they were different. My lone one looks to be the same in every way except the top was turned down further on the edges to give it a more distinct dome. The width in the middle of the flat on the more domed one is 3/16" where the other one is 1/4" Overall height is the same just turned down further on the edges. It was difficult finding good pictures to look at but the pictures in " The Harley-Davidson Motor Co. Archive Collection book that has fantastic pictures of a 1952 K and a 1954 KH. It seems to show that the '52 has the more rounded cap and the '54 the flatter one. My question then becomes what did they use on a 1953? Is the more rounded one with thinner edges 1952 only or did they use them on 1953 as well. It's hard enough to get a wrench on the thicker ones without marking up the top panel. It would have been even more difficult with the thinner edge ones. Seems like it wouldn't have taken long before they realized that and changed over to the thicker ones? Would like to find another thin edged one to make a set. If anyone happens to have an extra one that they would let go let me know.
Stan
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (176.72 KiB) Viewed 9288 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (170.24 KiB) Viewed 9288 times
starcain

Re: Fork Tube Caps

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Yes early one different than any other year or any repo. I have one. How much for yours, than I'll tell you how much for mine! :roll:
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:26 pm

I think flat ones are FX. Not positive. Short, or thin domed are 52 for sure. Not too many factory 53 photos, most in advertising look like 52 photos used over. Anyway maybe other folks have original Ks they can look at. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby starcain » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Yeah it seems like 1953 and 1955 are the lonely years with much less factory photo information then '52,'54 and '56. In this case with the caps it would require a really good photo to be able to distinguish which style cap it is. If anyone has an unrestored original '53 K or KK it would be great to hear what style fork tube caps you have on it. I'm just trying to find a mate to the cap I have. I really wasn't thinking about selling it.
Stan
starcain

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Well my odd thin one actually has a mild pike in the dome. ???? Sorry no match yet.
EKHKHK56

Postby starcain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Erik, I'm trying to picture what you are describing but not sure. Is the cap the same in every other way except for the dome? Could it be used on a "K"? I'm wondering if there were in some cases variations in the manufacturing process? Different suppliers??? Any chance you could post a picture of it?
Stan
starcain

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK