Intro and Question

Production K Models

Intro and Question

Postby Zaemo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Hello Gentlemen,
Chad here in GA. I'm getting ready to get a bike again after many years. I've been in hot rod world working on my original 1932 Ford Roadster. I do all my own work aside from machining. The reason I say that is because I am looking for a project bike that is complete but needs work. 32 Ford parts are scarce and getting more expensive. Is it the same with these K model bikes? I don't see them a lot on eBay or elsewhere. I want a complete bike because I don't feel like chasing down rare parts, I just want to maintain and ride. I've never taken one of these apart so I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

In the Early Ford world, there is a network of people and then there is the overpriced eBay route when looking for cars or parts. I can only assume it's the same with this era of Harley. So...... are the larger bike swaps the best place to find a bike or is it word of mouth? What should I expect to pay for something that's original but not a museum piece or a restored bike?
Thanks for your time and I hope to use the technical info in this site for my own bike this coming year.

Chad
Zaemo

Re: Intro and Question

Postby hennesse » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Chad,

The K's are a little tough to find - they only made between 1000 and 2000 each year from 1952 through 1956. Early Sportsters are similar, production hovered around 2000 from 1957 through 1963. After that, they started going up, and climbed rapidly. Generally speaking, you tend to find either complete restored bikes or piles of parts. Finding an un-restored original in good running condition is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

You're going to have to use every resource available. You sometimes see them at AMCA swap meets, and sometimes at general swap meets. They can also be found at some of the big auction houses (Mecum, Bonhams). Here's one http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22125/lot/312/ which gives you an idea of prices. And of course, there's always fleeceBay.

Happy hunting!

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Zaemo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Thank you Dave. I may have to find an early Sportster to get started with. I do like the flathead, though. I'll keep looking.

Chad
Zaemo

Postby sean » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:20 pm

there is a frame and other items on ebay right now...http://www.ebay.com/itm/231421328738?fo ... NA:CA:1653
i have a set of 52 cases,hardware ,flywheel assembly,barels,heads and a set of tranny gears available...that plus the stuff in the fleabay listing gets you 75% there...id want 1500.00 for my motor project plus the bid is currently at 1500.00 on ebay for the frame fenders plus alot of other parts but reserve has not been met yet...just throwing that out there.the listing ends today
sean

Postby Zaemo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Hey Sean,
Thanks for the heads up and the offer to sell some of your stash. I need to pick my battles these days with twin 6 year old girls and a new flathead/trans for my 32 roadster and a 55 Chevy Wagon that needs everything. If I get a basket case, I'll go bonkers trying to get all of the correct stuff down to the fasteners. My 32 is period correct for a 1948 hot rod (after the new '42 Merc motor install) and it takes a lot of work to do that. A complete bike that needs the basics to get it running or a driver is what I need. Saw an older Craigslist ad for a 61 XLCH over in 'Bama that might do the trick.
Thanks,
Z
Zaemo

Postby sean » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:32 pm

yes you will drive your self nuts finding every nut and bolt correct...ive been collecting bits for my 52 for over ten years,starting to get it together now and hope to be running this season.i hope to be mostly correct but things like paint and tires,control cables and wiring will need to be repo to make it a runner...most the hardware will be correct as well the parts but it was a long haul buying a bolt here and a bracket there...good luck with your 61 if you pick it up,alot easier finging a sporty in mostly correct fashion then it would be with a flathead k
sean

Postby Zaemo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:34 am

That 61 didn't pan out. Back to the drawing board.
Z
Zaemo

Postby strong56KH » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:24 am

[quote="sean"]yes you will drive your self nuts finding every nut and bolt correct...and nickel and dime yourself to death! Today more like $50 and $100! Be aware of scams when looking for a bike. There was one for a very original 56KHK on Oodle Marketplace a couple of weeks ago. The asking price was $4,600, a tipoff that it might be a scam. The bike was originally listed on Classic Motorcycle Consignments and sold for $17,000. The scammer used the same pictures from that add. If you have the bike shipped, use a carrier that pays the seller on pickup. Ask to have them photograph the bike and send the pictures to you before it is paid for and loaded into their vehicle. Mark.
strong56KH

Postby dr dick » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Zaemo wrote:32 Ford parts are scarce and getting more expensive. Is it the same with these K model bikes?
Chad

in 32 ford made 211,000 vehicles
in 52 hd less than 1% of the 32 ford numbers of k models.

its a smart move to get a 57-69 ohv to test the waters. they are way more plentiful and the pool of involvement is larger.
the initial outlay to get going can easily be less than 1/2 of of a k and 1/3 of a kh.
owning an 900 ohv will give you a good stepping stone. and one that can be liquidated quickly if need be.
dr dick

Postby Zaemo » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:50 am

Thanks for weighing in, Doc.
I really dig the 57-68 Sportsters. The few that I've seen recently are custom bikes and priced in the $6500 to $7500 range. I have the opportunity to get into a '52 K that might need a couple things for $8000. Seems like a small price difference for a more rare and collectable bike, no?
What would you guys do? Get the K or wait for an original early Sporster?

Z
Zaemo

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK