1952 K cams

Production K Models

1952 K cams

Postby bloodyjack » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:57 am

I have just acquired a 1952 K model motor unfortunately the cams are missing. Are their other years I can look for that will work? Ebay has reproduction 45 cams are they the same?
Or does anyone know if Ironhead Sporster cams will fit or any other years?
bloodyjack

Re: 1952 K cams

Postby Rubone » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:07 pm

K cams appear regularly on Ebay. They are easy to identify as they are marked with a "K". 45 cams are different and do not fit. Sportster cams are completely different and don't fit. KH cams will fit, as well as KHK (they are also marked as such). There are also KK cams out there, most are marked simply 1,2,3, or 4 and are essentially the first generation cams as used in KRs.
Any '52-'54 K cams are standard and will fit.
Rubone

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:07 pm

I have some. The stock 52K actually runs nice with stock cams. KH gives you more on top but loses in the low, to midrange where you probably would do most riding. The extra overlap kills low end noticeably but not terribly ! :D Anyway I have K, KH, and have KHK sets and .420" Lift E cam sets for K or ground straight up for WLAR in the works. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 pm

You can use good Sportster early Cams as blanks to attach the angle ground way higher lift K Lobes. You have to run the Sportster cover or narrow #3 shoulder until clears K cover. So 57XL cams for example would give you a cam/follower binding situation because they are ground straight up and lifter is angled. Also with no rocker arm lift multiplier it would be the lowest lift doggiest K ever. Those weird looking things on top of an Ironhead K multiply lift by half again, or whatever ratio they are built to. Only one pound each...weight not price. Typically rockers multiply lift by 44%, unless you get #CompCams 1.5 to 1 or 1.6 to 1 rocker sets. Than some set up, and vroom pop. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby bloodyjack » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 pm

EKHKHK56 wrote:I have some. The stock 52K actually runs nice with stock cams. KH gives you more on top but loses in the low, to midrange where you probably would do most riding. The extra overlap kills low end noticeably but not terribly ! :D Anyway I have K, KH, and have KHK sets and .420" Lift E cam sets for K or ground straight up for WLAR in the works. Erik

Eric do you mean you have some k cams for sale?
bloodyjack

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK