K Model value

Production K Models

K Model value

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:29 pm

53 Harley.jpg
First Recovery
53 Harley.jpg (121.53 KiB) Viewed 20195 times

I am new to this K Model site and I need a bit of experienced, truthful, information I have been getting so little of lately. I bought an old 53K model from a farmer on a true barn find, it is just like the stories go...except, this one needed restoration. After spending a couple months of research, I thought I may be able to do something nice with it, so we worked out a deal...likely in his favor. He has the original 1953 title, but he had the motor changed to a KHK in 1955 because, as he put it, the dealer made him a great offer and he wanted a faster bike...so the title does not exactly match. My plan is to restore it nicely, drive it for a summer and then sell it (for the right price only) and move on to another Harley project.

S000 here is the deal, when I get done restoring the bike we believe it will be at an estimated 90 point restoration. However, I will have spent about $12,000-13,000 into it. A local bike builder told me, and a few sites indicate he may be correct, it will be worth more than that...but truthfully I am beginning to lose confidence in those estimates. And of course I understand it depends on how much the guy wanting it is willing to pay for it.

So...the hard question with reality on the other end is this; can any experienced old K Model brothers tell me what to expect for a bike that would meet the description of a K Model like this?
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: K Model value

Postby JerrryR » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi Mayday,
A couple thoughts I have are I wouldn't put any money into this project until I figured out how to get the bike titled if you are going with it as a 55K. I know in Illinois there is a process that isn't to painful as long as you have a bill of sale with the sellers address and a few other details. My other thought is for the bike to be worth the money you may be putting into it you have to build it as either a 53K or as a 55K, not as a mix of both. This would require you to build a 55 around a motor with no title or build it as a 53 which would require you to come up with a titled 53 motor. If you can post a bunch of good pictures we can probably tell you what you are starting with. At a quick glance the bike does appear to be 53. I am curious about the chrome covered shocks, maybe someone can answer this for me. I believe the "split" chrome covers were stock in 54. Were the covers an option in 53? Good luck. JerryR
JerrryR

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Hello, nice find! NADAguides.com has pretty fair price evaluations for different Ks and conditions. I don't follow the market but I have seen two Ks bring over $30K fifteen years ago. One a 53KK at big auction and Brad Andres's 55KHK to the Wheels of Time Museum. Other than that while I feel the Guide is good and actually low for the rarity of these special motorcycles finding a willing buyer is always the key to any sale. Lately I saw a very nice 95% correct-restored looking go for $12K which was a surprise. Typical of times of recession you will see things for sale at half value. I would do the mechanicals, safety stuff and get it running, as is barn fresh. It's only old like that once. Get it bonded to title with new engine. That is what I am doing with my 52. Values I don't understand, these are rare, I wouldn't pay $45K for a new pickup which are everywhere. I feel these Ks are undervalued. The 52K and 56KHK always made the top ten collectable Harleys in magazines in the past. Not much help, but my ideas on K values. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby hennesse » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Mayday,

You're definitely qualified for the Barnster(R) section of the gallery page. Shoot us some more photos - either here or email to dave@@@toyhouse.org (only one @) - of the bike from all directions - the larger the photos the better, and I'll get them in the Gallery.

Your bike is a 1953 with a 1955 engine in it, and that is going to limit its value on resale. You see some pretty nice restorations going for $15K, but they have matching year engine and chassis. I'm gonna take a WildAssGuess here and say $10K would be the upper limit when restored to 90%. Others should pitch in here with their opinions - I've been known to be way off-base (and often am).

The 1953 title will probably allow you to get tags and ride it, but the purchaser will probably insist on a title that matches the engine. So you should get a title that matches the serial number on the engine. The cost of title services has gone up dramatically - the last time I used one it was $75, now it's approaching $750 - AND, one of the larger title services - who used to be great - now has many horror stories associated with it - so do your homework before plonking down your money.

So then figure how much you can put into it, and still get your money out of it.

Or you might consider looking for a 1953 engine for it. Or see if you can engineer a trade - particularly if your engine is a KHK. More difficult way to go, but if you expect to get top dollar for it...

No matter what you decide, get it running and get riding it - they're fun to drive.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby hennesse » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:23 pm

JerrryR wrote: I know in Illinois there is a process that isn't to painful as long as you have a bill of sale with the sellers address and a few other details.

Mayday,

What state are you in? Maybe someone else on here has experience with the same state. Some states make it easy to get titles, some states are near impossible. My understanding is that CA (and apparently IL) has a simple process. Last I heard, Ohio refused to accept registrations from non-title states, which is how the title services work.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks, for the advice. A couple more questions:
1) Does it matter the dealership swapped the engine? What if I have the old man that owned it sign a notarized document saying it was the case?
2) The reason I wanted to paint it is because of value ( the original Pepper Red paint is covered poorly with Glamour Green). I am working with to getting it done
professionally by a local paint shop owner/acquaintance for $1200...Does that make it worth painting?
3) I have pics and historical data over the life of the bike from the old man and during our restoration process so far; how much do you think that adds to the value?

I am sure I will have a LOT more questions as I go through the process...I am glad I found this site!!
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Here is the day I picked it up...first time in 60 years it was not living at the farm
Attachments
First time off farm in nearly 60 years.jpg
Picking up barn find Harley
First time off farm in nearly 60 years.jpg (125.41 KiB) Viewed 20174 times
53 K model ND Barn Find (1).jpg
Looks Like a poster
53 K model ND Barn Find (1).jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 20174 times
53 K model ND Barn Find (2).jpg
53 K model ND Barn Find (2).jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 20174 times
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Couple more Pics
Attachments
53 K model ND Barn Find (7).jpg
53 K model ND Barn Find (7).jpg (61.36 KiB) Viewed 20173 times
Tear down.jpg
Tear down.jpg (406.62 KiB) Viewed 20173 times
55 KHK HEADS.jpg
55 KHK HEADS.jpg (177.04 KiB) Viewed 20173 times
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:43 pm

The old shed on the farm which this beauty rested for the last 20+ years...
Attachments
53 K Model ND Barn Find.jpg
53 K Model ND Barn Find.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 20173 times
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Mayday, way cool my 52 was chained to tree for 40 years. Amazing how good the metal is still. Old Harleys went by the Motor # only for vin# so whatever is in the bike is the vin# period. H-D Didnt do frame vins until about 69. In Alaska you have to do a bond based on % of value and than you can get title, after 3 years if nobody jumps up and claims it is theirs you get clear title. Only took me 4 trips and about $500. Had to bond it for title because there was a typo error on the 1973 title. Clean it up put it together and have some fun! Also would be Persian Red in 53, Pepper in 55. More Red red than Orangish red.... I am getting my 52 Barnster® roller ready than while rebuilding the engine I'm going to slip my 56KHKR motor in to shake the cobwebs out. Welcome aboard, we are all a little 'K'razy here so this is the place to be! Erik
EKHKHK56

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK