K Model value

Production K Models

Re: K Model value

Postby DaveC » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:19 am

A quick note on the popular color Pepper Red, it is a match to a Audi color used from 80 to 86, Mars Red.
DaveC

Postby JerrryR » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:23 am

Mayday,
If you don't mind Harley made a number of running changes with parts and historical evidence like your bike and Erik's "Barnsters" are important pieces of evidence. From the pictures it looks like your 53 has the rivetless rear fender, if you don't mind may I ask the first two or if I am not pressing it the first 3 numbers of the VIN on the original 53 motor like 53K 164X. Not the VIN on the 55 motor. Also does your headlight have the high jewels up near the bezel or are they down a ways from it? The frame is another area of interest. Are the footpeg brackets hollow or solid? Is there a date code, a number and a letter, on the right side of the gas tank rear boss or not? Thanks
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:04 am

Correction - memory failing...Pepper Red did come out in 53. Persian Red was 52. Jerry, my 52 had 4 small bolts holding the fender, I also see them on this 53. They should be slotted taper head screws, correct?
EKHKHK56

Postby JerrryR » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:52 am

Hi Guys, As far as I know they should be slotted. I attached the 52-53PB image of the struts and supports.

52-53 PB Showing Fender Struts.jpg
52-53 PB Showing Fender Struts.jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 14933 times
JerrryR

Postby hennesse » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 am

hennesse wrote:You're definitely qualified for the Barnster(R) section of the gallery page. Shoot us some more photos - either here or email to dave@@@toyhouse.org (only one @) - of the bike from all directions - the larger the photos the better, and I'll get them in the Gallery.

The photos are now in the Gallery section - under Barnsters
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for all the great feedback...I am glad to see I am not the only one excited about these old bikes! I retired after nearly 30 years as an aviator in the USAF and old bikes, particularly Harleys, are my new passion.

Jerry -- Headlight jewels are near the bezel, foot pegs are hollow, the rest I have to get when I get back out to my workshop tomorrow.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Now one more piece of advice please. I have always thought there were three colors that were perfect for a Harley; black, black, and black.

My current plan is to bring it back to Pepper Red, but my gut says black...Since this is not a 100% original bike, do you feel going black would detract reduce the value or will the original Pepper Red be a better choice?
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby hennesse » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Mayday53 wrote:Now one more piece of advice please. I have always thought there were three colors that were perfect for a Harley; black, black, and black.
My current plan is to bring it back to Pepper Red, but my gut says black...Since this is not a 100% original bike, do you feel going black would detract reduce the value or will the original Pepper Red be a better choice?

Strange you should ask - I just spent a few days going through The Legend Begins and writing down the colors that Ks and Sportsters came stock from the factory - and for 1953 your choices are: Pepper Red, Glacier Blue, and Forest Green.

The page is here: http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/colors/index.html - I still have to double-check it and work it into the main Technical index page.

Your gut is right - the frame, oil tank, battery/toolbox, chainguard, etc. should be black. But for the fenders and tanks, my personal opinion is to go with a stock color on the fenders and gas tank. Why? I suspect you're going to "clean and paint" the bike, and get it on the road with the 1955 engine. Then you're going to ride it for a summer and sell it. Or perhaps you will fall in love with it and decide to keep it. And then you find someone who's willing to trade a 1953 K or KK motor for your 1955 motor. If your bike is a stock color (and stock everything else), you just pop the new motor in, and whammo - a totally stock bike!

Your bike looks pretty stock except for the motor. First you start down the slippery slope with a custom paint job. Next comes apehangers. Then a 14"-over springer front end. Then ...
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Mayday53 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:33 am

Thanks, you basically hit my plans on the head. I did find pepper red paint today at Pierce, but it is $400 / quart which is VERY high from other paints I have seen. Can you or anyone confirm the Audi red is the exact same shade value red as the Harley pepper red, or is it just rather close?
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby hennesse » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:07 am

Mayday53 wrote:Thanks, you basically hit my plans on the head. I did find pepper red paint today at Pierce, but it is $400 / quart which is VERY high from other paints I have seen. Can you or anyone confirm the Audi red is the exact same shade value red as the Harley pepper red, or is it just rather close?

If Dave Carlton says it's right, it's right.

DaveH
hennesse
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK