jumpis out of 2nd gear

Production K Models

jumpis out of 2nd gear

Postby themike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:48 am

Hi. I have a '52 K. Of course it has no trap door for the trans. Problem = jumps out of 2nd. Im afraid the shift fork or pawl may be the problem. grasping at straws here. do not want to split cases if I can avoid it. any ideas?
themike

Re: jumpis out of 2nd gear

Postby hennesse » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 am

themike wrote:Hi. I have a '52 K. Of course it has no trap door for the trans. Problem = jumps out of 2nd. Im afraid the shift fork or pawl may be the problem. grasping at straws here. do not want to split cases if I can avoid it. any ideas?

Code: Select all
If the problem's in the transmission,
you gotta fix that darn transmission
But If you're just a cussin' and a bitchin'
Then cycle riding you'll be missing...

Sorry. I don't know of any magic cure. Cough up the bucks and fix it correctly now - it won't get any better by itself, and it won't get any cheaper the longer you procrastinate. I know about that! If you live in Virginia or nearby, I can recommend my engine builder, Robin Borum, 703-395-3269, [email protected]

The transmissions are the weak part of these bikes, particularly the 1952-1953. The 1954-1957 were better, but in 1958 they finally fixed the problem. The -58 countershaft and gears sets work in the 1954-1957, but I don't know if they work in the 1952-1953.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby thefrenchowl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:44 am

Later whole transmission sets, mid 54 up till 1969 XLCH, can be put in a trapless 52/53 K case as long as you remember that:

1) The clutch gear should be left as a K one, suitable for early 5 plates clutch, the 7 plate clutch won't fit underneath the K primary cover.

2) The later secondary shaft underneath the rear chain sprocket is smaller in diameter, so you'll have to sleeve the right case and fit the smaller blind Torrington needle bearing in there.

The most likely cause for jumping out of gear is worn out dogs, so no cure other than change the faulty gears or regrind them dogs... (the drive/driven dogs all have a slight taper ground in to act a a locking device and resist the side trusts that will disengage the gears. After years of going in and out, the dogs acquire a rounded face that negates the taper and makes jumping out of gear under acceleration very easy...)

Opening the cases is the only suitable course of action since the problem can only get worse and will end up in a disaster for your cases...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Gear spacing, play and mainly worn dogs. When setting up you want minimal play and dead even fork spacing. I have tons of transmission gears. 52-69 H-D OEM. I do all K engine services. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby themike » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm

Thank you fellas. The refresher course made sense. The Motor is barely broke in, but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Any advice on opening a new Motor and putting it back together? Again - Thank You.
themike

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:50 am

From another post that KDaddy hasn't bothered to acknowledge or reply to...

Dismantle all the primary stuff, timing cavity and cylinders,
Dismantle all bolts and screws, left and right.
Lay left hand side crankcase down on wooden spacers to clear drive main shaft and clutch gear from bench.
Lift right hand side crankcase up together with rear engine mount.

After that, you only need hydraulic press or "pusher" to push crank out of left case.

"Pusher" made from hydraulic puller:

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK