New guy with a '59 KR

Racing K Models

Re: New guy with a '59 KR

Postby sixfootdan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:54 am

Simon wrote:I'm sure you'll be able to rectify that, although it's also sure to be a PIA...just don't go stamping the Z onto the VIN pad! :D

Would love to hear some of your dad's stories about when he first had the bike! More pics please!

There is no room to add a Z because the last digit is at the edge of the raised area. My dad's buddy Ned Murphy bought the kr used from Jim Marony's cycle in New York. He raced it a few years and sold it to someone else who did nothing with it except tear it down. Dad asked Ned about the bike and he put him in touch with the new owner and my Dad got it for $300 torn apart and it sat for about 40 years. I'm calling him tomorrow about the title but I'm afraid the dmv in Colorado is not just going to change the vin without paperwork and an inspection. But now the bike is in Wa.
sixfootdan

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:40 pm

My title had one wrong number, typo, when I bought my 52K. I had to bring it in to DMV for inspection than get an accurate value appraisal from the H-D dealer. Than take that paperwork to an insurance agent who could bond it for two years than free title is released if no one disputes ownership by then. This is also what we have to do to title a motorcycle with no title. To avoid confusion you might want to go the "no title" route to avoid questions about a title with an extra character. That is probably a different situation than having a title with one character wrong due to typo. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby MTaylor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:40 pm

EKHKHK56 wrote:My title had one wrong number, typo, when I bought my 52K. I had to bring it in to DMV for inspection than get an accurate value appraisal from the H-D dealer. Than take that paperwork to an insurance agent who could bond it for two years than free title is released if no one disputes ownership by then. This is also what we have to do to title a motorcycle with no title. To avoid confusion you might want to go the "no title" route to avoid questions about a title with an extra character. That is probably a different situation than having a title with one character wrong due to typo. Erik K

It's different in every state, but I don't think you have big problem. In fact, I'm sure you could run it with the title you have. Some states actually add letters or numbers to the original engine ID numbers so that they will have the right number of characters for their computers.
MTaylor

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:01 pm

For originality you definitely don't want extra numbers on your cases or machined down pads with new numbers. All Ks have 4 serial numbers only. Fix the title first. Mine is settled and clear with 52K 1679 on it like it should have. Back in 72 someone had a two beer lunch and titled it 52K 1699. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Fixing the title

Postby hennesse » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Dan,

I have had many titles corrected by the DMV over the years. This usually is not a big problem, but you will have to do some up front work.

The time to correct it is when you go to have the title transferred from your dad's name to yours.

First, get in the proper frame of mind. This will take you a whole day at the DMV. Then, when it only takes 2 or 3 hours, you will be pleasantly surprised. OK, the DMV clerk does about 90% brand new or < 5 years old cars. You are an oddity. Expect things to take longer than expected.

The DMV clerk can not go changing serial numbers willy-nilly - he/she will have to cover her butt. For him/her to do this, you will have to provide them with documentation, that they can keep with their internal paperwork. Take good photographs of the bike, the motor, and most importantly, the serial number - and print them all out. Also, print out many pages from the Technical:Numbers section of this website. The first page shows the Harley serial number format for 1930-1969. The page of photos of actual serial numbers provides examples of what K serial numbers look like. Print lots of pages. Remember - they are the government, and the government loves paperwork. Give them what they want!

If possible, trailer the bike to the DMV. They might want to look at it, or have a policeman look at it. Let them know you have it outside in the parking lot. Some DMVs have a cop in a little office in the rear. If not, you can drive it over to the nearest police station, and back to the DMV in the same day. If you have to do this, ask the clerk his/her name, and if you can speak directly to them when you come back. You don't want to start all over with a new clerk.

Whether it's a clerk at the DMV or a cop, or a Judge in court, dress well, be polite, be respectful. They have all the power. If the clerk can't help you, ask to speak to a supervisor. There's usually one or two supervisors that can handle the unusual cases - like yours. You usually have to wait a while to see the supervisor. But you figured it would take all day.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Simon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:58 am

Any more progress on this project? More pics?
Simon

Previous

Return to KR, KRM, KRTT, KHR, KHRM, KHRTT