No headgasket??

All things K & Sportster

Re: No headgasket??

Postby thefrenchowl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:54 am

If you use the silver or black high temp paint (I have used both in the past) you will notice you have to break the bond with a copper or plastic hammer next time you split heads... It gives a really good bond/seal...

And this is what happens if you don't check your head bolts often enough on a supercharged engine, our last pass at Bonneville in 2013, one got loose and the flame front went past it melting some alloy in the process:

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby LDB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:07 pm

In my opinion, the head should be installed while the paint coating is still sticky. Have everything ready to go and install within a few minutes, depending on the ambient temperature. I would not install one with dry paint unless if the coating turned out to be soft when dry. A coating still sticky would conform and seal much better. Also, I think Copper Coat spray by Permatex would be a better choice. Just my opinion.
LDB

Postby prostreetholland » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:19 am

I have good experience with VHT Copper Gasket Cement
prostreetholland

Postby Coolbreeze » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm

I have used both aluminum paint and copper based sealant with good results. Now, I buy Sherwin-Williams brand aluminum paint. I let it sit for week or so to allow the solids to settle out. Then, I decant ~2/3 of the oil. The remaining viscous material is carefully applied to the mating surfaces. One does not want the material to get into the combustion chamber or on the valve seats. When the material is tacky (not dry), I attach the heads. So far, this works for me.
'56 KHK
'60 XLCH
'48 Chief
'42 Indian 841
'64 BMW R69S
'84 Moto Guzzi V65Sp
Coolbreeze

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions