Install a fixed magneto

All things K & Sportster

Install a fixed magneto

Postby Mark.A » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:54 pm

I am at the point of my build to install the mag. The mag was rebuilt by Morris. Have motor on compression stroke . I have a timing light to tell when points just open. Here is what I am wondering about have to turn the mag ccw to open the points. Now with the points just open. The mag is about 1/8 to 3/16 more ccw than the original timing mark. I was thinking the mag should be parallel with the motor is this normal . I can bolt it down in this position
Mark.A

Re: Install a fixed magneto

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:21 pm

The Mag on KH KHKs fits nicely w body to rear, square w engine, and times ok. On K it may hit Cyl before square if I recall right...dont know if this helps... ;)
EKHKHK56

Postby Rubone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Factory marks are to help with installation and alignment when replacing the magneto. They are NOT timing marks. Are your points set correctly on the highest point of the lobe? Is the crank in the proper location on front cylinder compression and timing mark in the hole? Then adjust the magneto to just break the points (lights, buzzbox, whatever means you choose. They all work) With a fixed mag you are done, lock it down,and ride it. Be sure you kick it with meaning, don't dab at it, or it will hurt you. Be sure all the kicker parts are in optimum condition as well.
Rubone

Postby Mark.A » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Hey rubone and Erik thanks for the reply yes the front piston is on compression stroke and timing mark is centered in hole . Narrow cam lobe ccw of points foot. Ok next rotated mag ccw so points just open. The new position of the mag is more ccw than when I took it apart but than again the whole motor has been taken apart and put back together
Mark.A

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions