harley davidson kh model engine part 24532-54a

All things K & Sportster

harley davidson kh model engine part 24532-54a

Postby PeterB » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Hello all,
get some problems to get the left engine side sealed. The left lid got new paper seal with good mastic. However still found minimum oil over night.
Questions :
Is it in any case possible to get a 56’s KH really sealed ?
Found out from bottom view that the second engine part, 24532-54A got some welding from underside. No idea until now if that is the problem.
Which options do I have ?
Possible to find those part ?
Or open left side again and working with metal glue ?
Or any cold welding method ?
Other simple options ?
Maybe from underside and not from inside ?
Hate to open left side again because in my eyes it got good sealed.........
Thank’s for help
kind regards
Peter
PeterB

Re: harley davidson kh model engine part 24532-54a

Postby wz507 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 pm

You could start by trying a Cometic AFM primary gasket (aluminum foamette material – aluminum frame with nitrile rubber foam on both sides), P/N C9317F, that is ~ 0.060” thick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-1957-19 ... SwsnVeFk1p

Unless your left crankcase was terribly distorted by the welding repair this should seal it.

If it needs even more help, the next thing I’d try is to clean it all scrupulously, put a generous bead of Permatex Ultra Grey sealant on the primary cover gasket surface, assemble immediately, snug gently into place and allow it to cure for a couple days. Don’t wipe away any excessive sealant that is forced out of the joint when snugging, leave it alone as any excess sealant can be easily skived off with a blade when fully cured. After a couple days, tighten the cover fully (not brutally which can tend to bow it), and if you did a good job of cleaning it, this remedy will seal it.

I suppose there is also a remote possibility that the oil weaping is coming from the weld, not the case joint. Check this be solvent cleaning the bottom of the entire area well, dust the weld and case joint with corn starch so you can see clearly where any new leakage is occurring.
Last edited by wz507 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wz507

Postby PeterB » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks, I ordered that seal in US
After receiving I will re adjust the lid. Until that time I can life with the oil lost.....
PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:18 pm

Question :
Checked today the oil leakage and possible there is a very very tiny problem beside from a weldline....so I do not understand your comment :

suppose there is also a remote possibility that the oil weaping is coming from the weld, not the case joint. Check this be solvent cleaning the bottom of the entire area well, dust the weld and case joint with corn starch so you can see clearly where any new leakage is occurring.

Sorry, my english isn‘t the best, but can you descripe in detail the method with corn starch ?

Thanks
Greetings
Peter
PeterB

Postby wz507 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:03 pm

When clean oil is leaking from a case it can sometimes be difficult to see exactly where the source of the leak is, i.e., where exactly is it coming from? So to make that determination…..

Clean the area of the case where you suspect the leak with solvent (petrol, gas, spirits) the best you can until it is absolutely clean, dry and free of oil residue.

Dust the area with any fine powder (talcum powder, flour powder, corn starch powder, etc) so the cleaned area has a layer of white dust on it.

When it begins to leak you will be able to easily detect where the leak started and where the leaking oil is accumulating by visualizing the oil trail across the white powder.
wz507

Postby PeterB » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:07 am

ok, understood
Thank‘s
PeterB

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions