KH top end on WL or Sportster lower

All things K & Sportster

KH top end on WL or Sportster lower

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Hello,
I have been sorting out the milk crates full of parts of a '55 KH basketcase I purchased a couple of weeks ago. Though some of the parts are actually KH, many are 50's, 60's and 70's Sportster. I am realizing that to put together a proper KH engine is going to cost a fortune. Last night a question occurred to me. With the close relationship between the k-models, earlier 45's and the early Sportsters, would it be possible to use the KH top end on a 45 (WL type) or early Sportster lower engine, using the proper cams? Sorry if that is a naive question. I have experience with the WL's and ULH's but this is my first K-model. (If I had know more about the K's I probably would not have purchased the basketcase!) Thank you.
Kurt

Re: KH top end on WL or Sportster lower

Postby thefrenchowl » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:13 pm

K/KH on a W is probably harder to do than Sportster on top of W

Vertical W tappets don't quite match with angled K/KH valves for one, W cam grind is what you can use, a workhorse downstairs mated to a thoroughbred upstairs and 1 cylinder stud is not in the right place as well...

Unless you spend loads and then some more again...

It has been done in the past, but not that common, that should tell you why!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Thank you, I figured it was a long shot. In going through all the stuff that came with my KH basketcase, I found that there was a lot of K stuff but enough later tenough early Sportster stuff (clutch, frame, etc.) that I will not be able to afford making a correct KH. Guess I will put it on Craigslist. Thank you!
Kurt

Postby Flathead Fathead » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:22 am

I've got a '55 khk and I'm always looking for extra parts what have you got to sell?
Flathead Fathead

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions