KH and early Ironhead parts interchange

All things K & Sportster

Re: KH and early Ironhead parts interchange

Postby mack607 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:29 am

9 k model most are khk also 900 ironhead located in corning new york area selling my collection due to terminal cancer 607- 527- 4492 calls only no text leave message i will call you back i will not ship must be picked up here cash only
mack607

Postby vexx » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:01 pm

So is the only difference between the K RHS case and the KH RHS case the additional rod clearance for the increased stroke of the KH?
vexx

Postby wz507 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:28 pm

vexx wrote:So is the only difference between the K RHS case and the KH RHS case the additional rod clearance for the increased stroke of the KH?

To the best of my knowledge your comment regarding K/KH RHS cases is correct.

Circling back to the K/KH RHS case idler gear set-up, below are a few images of the installed stud, gear, and cam cover.
LR KH RHS idler gear stud installed.jpg
LR KH RHS idler gear stud installed.jpg (95.66 KiB) Viewed 7713 times

LR KH idler gear stud with idler gear installed.jpg
LR KH idler gear stud with idler gear installed.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 7713 times

LR KH cam cover idler stud bore.jpg
LR KH cam cover idler stud bore.jpg (139.48 KiB) Viewed 7713 times
wz507

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:46 pm

Looks like you have a Sportster engine with a KH case. To build it into a KH you would need the cams and related, cover, R case, jugs, heads, intake manifold, KH hardware, pistons, rods, KH 4.56” stroke flywheels and shafts, etc. Rods are the same except KH Female Rod which is machined on big end to clear Male Rod at BDC. If you find internet Flywheels you need to check to see if the Left Wheel still has the KH Sprocket Shaft shoulder. These were often machined off by Sportster guys building XL stroker motors and use the stronger XL Shaft with built in shoulder. If you can compile these parts it will work. Lastly Balance everything before assembly.
EKHKHK56

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions