Oil Tanks and return oil lines

All things K & Sportster

Re: Oil Tanks and return oil lines

Postby Yard Dog » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Dave,

Your mystery tank appears to be a -56 or -56A. They are virtually the same tank with the slight angle change toward the centerline of the frame of the oil feed fitting that Jerry R refers to. That change was necessary to move the feedline inward away from the now relocated rear exhast pipe on the overhead valve Sportster.

So here's my theory on why a new tank was needed for 56.

The new for 56 frame featured a raised neck which in essence lowered the rest of the frame. This in turn required a change in the location of the swingarm attachment/pivot point on the lower rear frame casting. Compare a 52-55 K frame with a 56 up frame. That hole is slightly but significantly higher on the later frames (thank you David B). I suppose it was to keep things relatively level ? That change in geometry lead to chain interference with the rear of the oil tank, hence the extra relief in the recessed area. The chain guard was shortened for the same reason. The lowered 56 frame also gave us the two bend jiffy stand.

Feel free to pick any or all of this apart. I have been accused more than a couple times of talking out of my ass.

Jack
Yard Dog

Postby sean » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:38 pm

thanks jack.
i have the pos on the left .i spun the cover 180 and that allowed more room for the battery to move left ...i had the cover with the long section facing the positive (left)side.it seems to even things out by switching the cover the other way pointing to the oiltank.,now the tie rod bracket support clears the neg terminal.but down fall is i have only 1/2 gap between pos and inside of toolbox...maybe ill put a small rubber pad behind the toolbox.just in case.
was the cover suppose to face pos. as pictured in parts book?
sean

Postby strong56KH » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:18 pm

I can corroborate the 56 only tank and the difference in the 57. The 56 I have has the new bottom chain protector with the rear bend to it and the oil feed line bung is barrel-shaped and threaded at a right angle to its axis. The 57 tank retains the bottom chain protector with the rear bend but has a different bung that is slightly conic and threaded at an angle outwards. Looking at the 56 tank with the hose and compression nut attached, it looks like it would be easier to get to and tighten the nut on the 57 tank since the nut threads so close to the edge of the 56 tank when using the original fitting. Maybe it had more to do with keeping the feed tube further away from the new rear exhaust pipe of the overhead valve 57?
strong56KH

Postby strong56KH » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Sorry, Jack. I missed your note on the the proximity of the 57 exhaust. At least I came to the same conclusion independently! Mark
strong56KH

Postby JerrryR » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:47 pm

Yard dog made reference to the swing arm pivot hole on the frame moving slightly up in the 56K frame and then continued on with the XLs. In this post I will display the pivot point on a 55K frame that you'll notice is centered compared to the off center hole on the 56K frame. The next post I will display the 55K neck casting to the 56K neck casting.
Have a great night.
JerryR
55 K Model Tomahawk Optimized.jpg
55 K Model Tomahawk Optimized.jpg (264.67 KiB) Viewed 11927 times

56K Tomahawk Optimized 1.jpg
56K Tomahawk Optimized 1.jpg (196.17 KiB) Viewed 11927 times
JerrryR

Postby JerrryR » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:49 pm

55 K Model Neck Casting Optimized.jpg
55 K Model Neck Casting Optimized.jpg (316.07 KiB) Viewed 11927 times

56K Neck Casting Optimized 1.jpg
56K Neck Casting Optimized 1.jpg (196.81 KiB) Viewed 11927 times
JerrryR

Postby Yard Dog » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:48 pm

I just reread my previous post and realized I hadn't included another factor in the need for the added clearance on the -56 tank. The shocks got shorter in 56 !

Jack
Yard Dog

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:31 am

So the step had a chain shield added, and than angled to provide more clearance for the new angle of the chain with the 56 dropped neck and Shorter Shocks in back I believe. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions