V-Twunk Solo Seatpost Kit

All things K & Sportster

Re: V-Twunk Solo Seatpost Kit

Postby sportsterpaul » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Thank gosh for you guys, I am actually figuring out what I own. My seat spring kits are as swhacked as I am. I swapped parts so the K-model has the factory plate and the V-Twin plunger assembly, while my 1962 has it the other way 'round. I think maybe I had the plunger but not the plate or springs, so then I bought the V-Twin kit just for those. Then I came across a factory plate, and used it and the leftover V-Twin plunger on my K-model. Yeah, I will make them consistent, probably keeping the 1962 correct.

Here is the K-model with the factory plate but the V-Twin guts. The V-Twin plunger does not have a Zerk like the factory plunger. You can see the factory plate has a little rise in the center, for the frame main tube. The gang here will know exactly what is going on here, since they have taught me some frames are relieved for this plate and some are not. The V-Twin plate in subsequent pics does not have that rise.
Sportster-seat-post-V-Twin-plunger-factory-plate_sfw.jpg
Sportster-seat-post-V-Twin-plunger-factory-plate_sfw.jpg (272.51 KiB) Viewed 27121 times

Here is the right side of the V-Twin plunger-- no Zerk. You can better see the rise in the factory plate too.
Sportster-seat-post-V-Twin-plunger-factory-plate_rt_sfw.jpg
Sportster-seat-post-V-Twin-plunger-factory-plate_rt_sfw.jpg (218.05 KiB) Viewed 27121 times

OK, here is the factory plunger with the V-Twin plate (and springs inside).
Sportster-seat-post-factory-plunger-V-Twin-plate_sfw.jpg
Sportster-seat-post-factory-plunger-V-Twin-plate_sfw.jpg (174.14 KiB) Viewed 27121 times

You can see the crappy V-Twin plate, that does not even seem to have the holes in the precise place for the plungers, and how it is flat, with no hump in the middle to clear the frame main tube. Note the factory plunger has a Zerk on the right and is cad plated. Like I said, the current V-Twin kit might be better, this one is a decade or two old. It never hurts to all Kirk at Sporty Specialties and ask if he has a factory one or what the V-Twin one is like. I think there are enough of these around you should wait for eBay, rather than add a Zerk and cad plate to a V-Twin one.
sportsterpaul

AMAZING TWIST OF FATE

Postby hennesse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:04 pm

After looking more closely today, my 1962 XLCH has the early 51902-54 seat tee (with the 51910-52 casting number on the top) - but it should have the later tee.

The one I just bought for the 1954 KH has the later 51902-54 seat tee (with the 51910-52A casting number on the bottom) - but it should have the early one.

So if I just swap the two tees, the quantum state of the universe will be restored --- the moon will be in the Seventh House, Jupiter aligns with Mars, peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars...

sportsterpaul wrote:You can see the crappy V-Twin plate, that does not even seem to have the holes in the precise place for the plungers, and how it is flat, with no hump in the middle to clear the frame main tube. Note the factory plunger has a Zerk on the right and is cad plated. Like I said, the current V-Twin kit might be better, this one is a decade or two old. It never hurts to all Kirk at Sporty Specialties and ask if he has a factory one or what the V-Twin one is like. I think there are enough of these around you should wait for eBay, rather than add a Zerk and cad plate to a V-Twin one.

Thanks Paul - typical V-Twunk - if they had spent a couple of dollars more, they would have had a correct reproduction - but they didn't bother. I'll scour eBay.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby strong56KH » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:40 pm

I have seen two different factory seat posts as well. I think the 52-53 K lacked the outer cut-out on the top of the posts like the V-twin ones. The 54 and later have the cut-out. Can anyone substantiate this?
strong56KH

Postby JerrryR » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:25 pm

I believe the first were as you describe for 52 what i cannot confirm is when they changed. There is a difference in the originals and the repops. The little grove around the bottom is a different size. I am not with my parts to confirm but i think the original has a bigger grove. I will be home in a few days and if no one has posted a picture of the two i will try to remember to.
JerrryR

Postby dr dick » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:30 pm

there are 3 distinct tee's
variations with each neglected for clearity.

52-53
used with -52 seat

54-64 top. used with -54 seat
65-70 bottom. used with -40 seat
dr dick

Postby strong56KH » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Here's a picture of the 52 only? seat posts that I dug out of my archives
Attachments
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG (406.73 KiB) Viewed 27102 times
strong56KH

Postby 55khkjoe » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:35 pm

Salutations all, there was another solo seat tee. I think sometime in 58. It is solid behind where it mounts at the frame in the front with no indentation. My 59 ch has this but I cannot get a pic with my seat on. Michael Breeding in Santa Fe is making exact forged reproductions for K's and Ch's for under 200 bucks. I used one on my 55khk and could not tell any difference between it and a stock one.
55khkjoe

Postby hennesse » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:58 pm

55khkjoe wrote:Salutations all, there was another solo seat tee. I think sometime in 58. It is solid behind where it mounts at the frame in the front with no indentation. My 59 ch has this but I cannot get a pic with my seat on. Michael Breeding in Santa Fe is making exact forged reproductions for K's and Ch's for under 200 bucks. I used one on my 55khk and could not tell any difference between it and a stock one.

Joe - go back to the first posting under this topic - with my new seat and tee. You can see that the tee has the solid section at the front - no "ramp". SportsterPaul posted a comparison photo between the two -54 tees. Today, I took my seat (w/ early tee) off my 62 CH, so I could I took some comparison photos with the later -54 tee. I will try to get them on here (and over in the "Technical" section) later this weekend. Someone hypothesized that the change may have occurred around the beginning of 1961 when the new "Dual Seat" took over as the standard seat offering on both XLH and XLCH. This makes sense, but not everything Harley did made sense. So for now, it's all still open for discussion.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby sportsterpaul » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks for credit Dave, but it was the good Doctor that posted the comparo pics, mine was the 1952 T. You crossed your Ts.

I just got the new Captcha question "Magneto Sportsters ALWAYS start on the _____ kick:" and it does not seem to work even though I typed in the correct answer: Thirtieth.

I note strong56KH's picture of the early posts are more similar to the V-twin post mechanically, although V-Twin still lacks the cad plating.
sportsterpaul

Postby DaveC » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:05 pm

55khkjoe wrote:Salutations all, there was another solo seat tee. I think sometime in 58. It is solid behind where it mounts at the frame in the front with no indentation. My 59 ch has this but I cannot get a pic with my seat on. Michael Breeding in Santa Fe is making exact forged reproductions for K's and Ch's for under 200 bucks. I used one on my 55khk and could not tell any difference between it and a stock one.

I worked with Mike on the seat tee and, along with Kerry Berthorst, the K Model and XLR kick arms and they are dead nuts on. For what he is selling them for, they are a real bargain. Mike is also looking for more forged and cast parts as candidates for future products. Any suggestions?
DaveC

PreviousNext

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions