Footrest Rubbers

All things K & Sportster

Footrest Rubbers

Postby hennesse » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:26 pm

The 50940-52 Footrest Rubbers are available from your local Harley-Davidson dealer for a whopping $5.95 each. Name one other part you can get from a Harley dealer for under $6.

I recently ordered 4 of them, and I received two pairs - so you can look down and read the "Harley-Davidson" logo on both of them.

Question: did the originals come in pairs - or were they both the same "side" ?

Also available from your H-D dealer, the 46001-54 Fork Boots. But they're $40 each. Reproduction ones are about 1/2-price - $40 per pair. I asked a couple of people, and they said they're about the same look and quality. Any opinions?
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Footrest Rubbers

Postby JerrryR » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:43 pm

All of the repop fork boots I have seen are easy to spot. The edges of the bellows ribs are rounded rather than angled. That's my take on them anyway. Have a great day.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby sportsterpaul » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:42 pm

So what do you folks use to glue the footpeg rubbers? I tried silicone but that didn't work, so the last few decades I have used Yamabond 4, which sure works, but is a pain to clean up and to clean off on the next replacement.
sportsterpaul

Postby hennesse » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 am

sportsterpaul wrote:So what do you folks use to glue the footpeg rubbers? I tried silicone but that didn't work, so the last few decades I have used Yamabond 4, which sure works, but is a pain to clean up and to clean off on the next replacement.

I just replaced one on the XLCH which had fallen apart (then I ordered 4 more for future use, 2 for KH, 2 for XLCH). Put it on dry, seems to be holding fine. For throttle and advance-retard grips, I have used my girlfriend's hair-spray in the past. Seems to have held fine for normal use, but can be removed via brute force. My wife doesn't use it, so if I needed to attach one now, I'm not sure what I'd do. Seems like it might require an embarrassing trip to the drug store. Although with all the gay marriage stuff going on nowadays, I guess no one will look twice if a guy brings a can of hairspray to the checkout counter...
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby strong56KH » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:26 am

Question: did the originals come in pairs - or were they both the same "side" ?

I have ten of the originals and they are all what would be left side of the new ones.

If you want to save your grips and foot peg rubbers, don't try to pry them off with a screwdriver. Put them in a pot of boiling water and they usually will loosen up enough to easily free them. I have used paint stripper to get the old grip glue off.
strong56KH

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions