Ignition Switches

All things K & Sportster

Re: Ignition Switches

Postby 55panman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:52 am

What are the 2 round bosses on each side of the speedo at about 4 and 8 o'clock? I haven't seen those on a top tree cover before.
55panman

Postby thefrenchowl » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:26 am

Dunno, but it looks to me like there a CH eye brow top tree under there...
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Headlight & Fork Panel Cover

Postby hennesse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:29 pm

thefrenchowl wrote:Head lamp shell is different from K to KH, they have the idiots lights at different levels...
Patrick

HEADLIGHT - there were two different versions of the headlight - same part number. The 1952-1953 version had the idiot lights next to the rim, while the 1954-1958 version had them about in the middle of the shell.

See these examples in the Gallery: Bator's 1952, Hewson's 1953, Sherman's 1954, Streett's 1955

(FORK) PANEL COVER

There are two versions of the Panel Cover - 46298-52 and 46298-52A

The 1952 to 1954* K and KH use the -52 Panel Cover. It has a round hole for the Fork Stem. Next to the each keyhole is a bump - so that you can only open the flipper one direction.

The 1955* to 1958 KH and XL use the -52A cover. It has a relaxed V-shape for the Fork Stem. There are no "bumps" next to the keyholes.

See these examples in the Gallery - with the key inserted: Hewson's 1953, Sherman's 1954, Chasteen's 1957 (both), Reynolds' 1957.
Note that Model H's 1958 has the early cover - I think this must have been replaced at some time.

WARNING: The factory covers have a raised area around the key holes - it is the same shape as the "Flippers". The reproduction cover (V-twin sells a set of front, top, left, right covers) does NOT have the raised area around the key holes. The Gallery photos with the key inserted plainly show the raised area around the key holes.

WARNING: The Parts Catalogs all use the EARLY -52 ILLUSTRATION.

WARNING: Flippers and Springs - there is a left and right of each, since they turn different directions. I think the Sestak guy on eBay has both, so better check with him before buying. Also - which switch goes where?
Light switch key hole cover (left)
Ignition switch key hole cover (right)
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby 55panman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi Patrick, I think I saw on one of the other threads where you told someone to send pics of their frame and you could maybe tell if they were KR or not. I have 2 frames that were represented as KR (how can everything been ridden by a famous rider?) but I don't know if they are or not. One is swiss cheesed so bad that it's going to take a day to pad weld all the holes up and the other was changed in the rear section, looks kind of like some ones misinterpretation
of a low boy frame. No casting numbers left on the first, and have to check the other. I'll take pic and send to whatever thread you think I should send it to
if I can figure out how to do it. I've accumulated all parts to build a KR and will start after I've finished the '74/'75 XR750 I'm working on now. Thanks, Ron
55panman

Headlight & Fork Panel Cover (continued)

Postby hennesse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:02 pm

hennesse wrote:The 1952 to 1954* K and KH use the -52 Panel Cover.
The 1955* to 1958 KH and XL use the -52A cover.

* The change does not show up until the 1956 Parts Catalog - the 1955 Parts Book Supplement does NOT show it. However, I believe the -52A cover was used from the beginning of 1955, and perhaps even as early as 54 KH 2250. The bottom triple tree changed at 54KH2250. The top triple tree MAY have changed at 54KH2250 (there's an UN-documented 45738-54 Fork upper bracket) and did change (to -54A) in 1955. The slightly varying position of the fork stem with the different triple trees prompted the switch to the V-shape cutout - the V-shape would retrofit back to 1952.

The speedometer changed to the new mounting in 1955. I think the hole for the speedometer is slightly larger in the -52A panel so it will retrofit, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

Late-1954 and early-1955 are tough models to restore. JerryR has found examples of factory-cut-and-rewelded upper and lower triple trees. Coupled with the factory-cut-and-rewelded frames, it's pretty obvious that Harley's first priority was to get these bikes out the door no matter what. Sixty years later, we're scratching our heads trying to figure out what fits what.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Yard Dog » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Patrick nailed it. The top tree you need is one of the two lower ones in this picture. They are still out there and worth about what yours is if its steel.

20140513_212123.jpg
20140513_212123.jpg (152.74 KiB) Viewed 16587 times

Regarding the top covers , they are stainless and the beaters can be made pretty again if you have patience.

I don't believe the Corvair guy (Systek ? )has the right side flipper , but I suspect a Harley guy bought a butt load from him before he figured out they also fit K/XL. The bike guy , can't remember his name , sells both sides as well as very correct looking springs on eBay.

Jim's Harley-Davidson in Mendon, OH has aftermarket switches and brackets that once installed are undetectable. He also repops early K and early XL front fenders that are spot on.

Jack
Yard Dog

Postby strong56KH » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Here's the evolution of the dash panel cover, left to right.

IMG_6690s.jpg
IMG_6690s.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 16581 times
strong56KH

Postby Chopperdave » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 am

Yard Dog and Strong KH thank you both so much for your input!!
and yes Frenchowl i didn't get around to pulling the cover off today but i have a feeling that there is a later XL tree under that top piece,
that would make perfect sense as to what those threaded bosses are.

thanx so much! i have to see how crazy my guy wants to go with it as far ar getting the correct pieces for it.

stoked!
We race because we have to...

Chopperdaves Casting Co
www.chopperdaves.com
Chopperdave

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:27 pm

I Dave, welcome! Cole Hersee makes many styles of universal switches. The `other` Cole :D They make one that is very close to the original size with key and with some machine work can fit in original location. The switch #9578 is an on off on like original. Universally they would fit anywhere you can find a spot for hole and clearance behind. Your top tin is a repop and probably the triple tree top underneath is a later tree, looks like a 59-63. The holes are wrong. You need the -54 up to 1958 top tree with key tabs mounts and room on the casting for the switches to fit in stock location, original or made. The holes for the switches stock are located just slightly higher than halfway up on both sides of the speedo hole, . Your speedo hole looks like for the bigger speedo, your speedo is a 57-58 which will work fine and takes a smaller hole. Anyway if there is room under the tin you have just fit the switches #9578 and wire original. One is for Lights & Park the other is Ign & Ign. I have fit those switches in place of stock by machining the neck slightly to fit. There is probably enough room to mount them in your existing dash somewhere. For reference, the stock location is with the bottom of the switch hole even with the center of the speedo hole and 1/2" away from it. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby Hammie13 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:01 pm

I'm not a big fan of the K "turtle" tanks,and I can't afford to build a 25k 100 point bike that's worth 15k when complete,I run Hummer tanks with the switch as to me they look sweet,and I'm still using a great piece of Harley history. Ride em,don't hide em!
Hammie13

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions