Shock Rebuilding?

All things K & Sportster

Shock Rebuilding?

Postby Zaemo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:07 am

I do not see correct looking shocks in the aftermarket with the exposed cams on the bottom. A few pairs of early shocks showed up on eBay for $300/pr.

MTaylor was posting back in March about rebuilding some. What is involved with this? Do you put a new shock body inside or replace valves in the original shocks. I guess all of the NOS H-D replacement shocks have long been used up.

Z
Zaemo

Re: Shock Rebuilding?

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Z, That's a tough one if the shock is quite worn. I don't know of internals available. If the internals are worn out they won't hold a seal and oil. If they have just lost oil over years and don't feel loose at the shaft just changing oil and seal may work. I'm assuming a standard seal is probably available at a bearing and seal store. No internal parts show up in my parts books so they may be non servicable. I haven't studied them yet and have many sets from 52 up so some day I will be looking at them. Shocks can lose oil before they become worn out and will work again once refilled. Years ago we used to simply refill struts on foreign cars before strut replacements were available with a small filler hole near the body top. At -60F the seals would blow out and it was easier just to refill them for and old import rather than rebuild them every cold snap. I'll check out some old K shocks and report back later. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:49 pm

If you were able to refill with oil without specs I would bottom out the shock and fill about 80% full with shock oil like BelRay around 20 weight for that old design. Just an idea. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby Zaemo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks Eric. I need to find a pair of them first. I wasn't going to pay $300 for a pair on eBay only to have to put them on the shelf.

Z
Zaemo

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:37 pm

I have a completely original set of shocks but plan to use a set of progressives for riding and keeping the old ones in case I ever want to sell the bike (Unlikely). That said, are there actually rebuild kits for them or is it a lot of refab of the seals?
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby Zaemo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:32 pm

I am learning that there are no rebuild kits. I suspect you could match the shock up and replace it.

Z
Zaemo

Postby dr dick » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:15 pm

z, do you need a complete set of shocks--
or
do you just need the separate parts?
dr dick

Postby hayleyl » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Hello all - Icon Shocks in Australia rebuild anything. Give them a set of old shocks and they will mechanically get them perfect without destroying patina etc. or they'll make them look brand new.
Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions