52 on eBay

All things K & Sportster

52 on eBay

Postby Zaemo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Anyone looking at this? It would be nice if all the sheet metal was original but it's fairly complete. I LOVE the two position seat. From what I read here, it's very hard to find.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/181957626742?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2FeBay-Motors-%2F6000%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D181957626742%26_rdc%3D1
[/url]

Z
Zaemo

Re: 52 on eBay

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:10 pm

Z,
I've communicated with the guy regarding status of title - says Canada doesn't have titles per se, only registrations Sounds like he sells bikes into the US every now and then. I have a couple of feelers out for transportation to the west coast.
Mike
Mike

Postby hennesse » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Mike wrote:Z,
I've communicated with the guy regarding status of title - says Canada doesn't have titles per se, only registrations Sounds like he sells bikes into the US every now and then. I have a couple of feelers out for transportation to the west coast.
Mike

Mike,

A couple of words of caution. I'm not sure that "Canada doesn't have titles per se". Do your homework regarding getting a title for a no-title vehicle in your state. In some states it is virtually impossible to get a title for a vehicle that doesn't have one. Some states are difficult. Some states are fairly easy. If you live in a difficult state, and consider taking it roundabout through an easy state, almost all states now require you to physically present a no-title vehicle at their DMV or police for a VIN number check. Here's an article that I'm still working on... http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/how-to/titles

Do your homework about importing a vehicle from another country. I've never imported a vehicle from Canada, but I did import an antique motorcycle from Germany a number of years back. It was not a problem, but the government requires you fill out some forms, and you don't want it to get hung up at the border for a missing form. I had to prepare a DOT form and an EPA form - on both I had to check the box for an exception for antique vehicles, but I still had to fill out the forms. I think one of the forms required a photograph of the manufacturer's serial number plate, which the seller thoughtfully provided on eBay. There should be no import duty, since it was made in the US.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Zaemo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Georgia could not be easier. Antique vehicles are non titled vehicles. All I've ever done is provide the DMV with a bill of sale. I've never had them ask to inspect a VIN. We here in GA are very lucky.
Dave is right. Be sure to have your papers together. You may even hire a broker to do it for you. The folks at the border have no sense of humor and they don't care about you or your motorcycle. Your tax dollars at work. They are perfectly happy with you sitting there until they are satisfied.
The trick is to never be intimidated remember that ultimately they are there to get you processed provided you are playing by the rules. I've run across some real hard asses.
Good luck! You'll get it home if you win it. I want that seat!
Z
Zaemo

Postby hennesse » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:54 am

Zaemo wrote:Georgia could not be easier. Antique vehicles are non titled vehicles. All I've ever done is provide the DMV with a bill of sale. I've never had them ask to inspect a VIN. We here in GA are very lucky.

Yes, you can register it, get tags, and drive it around. But you don't have a title, and this may bite down the road.

Let's say you move to Ohio (God only knows why you would, but go along with me here.) Ohio won't accept the GA registration, so you have to drive around on GA tags until the Ohio State Highway Patrol stops you one day and gives you a whopper ticket. The O.S.H.P. are not very friendly people.

You decide to sell the bike. Purchasers from "difficult" states will want to knock a few thousand dollars off the selling price, if they want to fool with it at all. More states are becoming "difficult", and 5 or 10 years from now, they all may be. I'd suggest spending the time and money to get a title now, as it will become more painful and costlier in the future.

Vermont is currently (2015) a state where even a non-resident can register (no title) a vehicle, and even get tags. But then you've got the same problem as with your Georgia registration.

-----
The seat on the eBay bike is a 1955 - 1958 - it has the lip on the back end. It's missing the grab bar.

The 1952-1954 seat was flat, and had a flat grab bar.
The 1955-1956 seat had the lip, and had a flat grab bar.
The 1957-1958 seat had the lip, but had a raised grab bar - see Model H's 1958 in the Gallery. His lip has sagged some over time, but it's still there.

If you really like that seat, I have a 1952-1954 "project" buddy seatavailable. Someone air-chiseled holes in the pan to get at the bolts under the cover (why, I don't know) , but it can be repaired. The seat cover was then removed, but it's intact, and would make a great pattern for someone like Mike Paquette or Heather's Leathers to duplicate. I bought it to steal the flat grab bar. I can dig it out from the shed and take photos if desired.

The other thing that immediately strikes me is that the bike has the rubber fork boots on it instead of the 49563-52 Fork Tube Cover, Chrome (2). In one or two of the photos you can see that it doesn't have the lower boot retainers (nor should it), but in other photos, he's pulled the boots down so you don't notice that they're not held on by anything. Anyway, the 1952-1953 covers are missing.

It's a pretty nice Barnster(R), but there isn't a part on it that doesn't need reconditioning.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby sean » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:56 am

i know the guy selling this k .he is a upstanding guy with many years experance in the industry.ive visited the shop last year and took some pics of this bike to help in my 52 k build...if anyone is interested i can dig the pics out and post them....im thinking he had a canadian ownership which is the same as a u.s title but maybe im wrong.it was a one owner bike with one wrong fender if i remember right.thinking orig paint as well.i think its a steal at the 10 grand it can be had for.
sean
sean

Postby sean » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:08 am

ok i was wrong about the paint...i went and looked at the listing...its around 4 hrs from here but id be willing to help anyone on this end if i could.
sean

Postby Zaemo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Wow, $9K out the door.

Z
Zaemo

Postby hennesse » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:02 pm

Zaemo wrote:Wow, $9K out the door.

Well, it's an easy restoration, since it appears pretty darn original other than the things noted - no endless searching for parts.

A Trip To The DMV

It was a rainy, gray, overcast day, and after looking at endless colors of bathrobes (Christmas shopping for my wife), I decided to take a break and head over to the Virginia DMV to see if any of the rules had changed. Good news, Virginia will still accept a registration and a bill of sale from Georgia, or any of the other non-title states. I forgot to ask if the bill of sale had to be notarized, but that is always a really good idea.

Virginia looks up the other state's title/registration laws in the NADA Title & Registration Textbook, and will accept the documents issued by the other state. The lady I spoke to wasn't sure about Canada, but she indicated that getting it across the border was harder than getting it titled in Virginia.

The NADA book is a whopping $186, so I won't be buying one. But someone who buys and sells a lot of motorcycles might be interested.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Zaemo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:55 am

Dave, you might be the singular person I will ever have conversed that went to the DMV for fun!
You are brave, sir.

Title experience is starting to creep back.
GA issued me a title for my 64. It had a title from FL so it probably wasn't too hard for them to change it over.

I did have one Model A roadster I built from parts inspected by a Policeman in order to apply for a title ($18).

When I registered my 32, the woman totally dismissed my wanting a title. Maybe that was more her opinion that day than the law. I'm going to file for one anyhow since I should have done it ages ago.

One would think that each state would NEED to cooperate with the other states. Being a state issue, it's no wonder there is a large expensive tome dedicated to the ins and outs of each state. I bet that's a real page turner!

I think the easy part here in GA is registering a vehicle in your name to take ownership. The following diligence is up to the individual and still isn't too difficult. This does only make it more simple to trade here within the state.

Z
Zaemo

Next

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions