52 on eBay

All things K & Sportster

Re: 52 on eBay

Postby sportsterpaul » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:20 pm

I have titled two bikes in California that did not have an existing title. The most important thing is to practice mouth-breathing. If you appear smart or glib or intelligent, they will think you are trying to put one over on them and make your life miserable. Pretend each word you speak costs 1000 dollars. Speak only these words: "I got no title". That's 4 grand right there. You don't have go Simple Jack, but you should not sound like your IQ is above 80.

The first bike was my 1962 Sportster. Rumors are that I put it together from parts, but you never want to say that in California since they will force you to "blue tag" the frame as a special construction bike and you will get a special construction title. So I drove the bike to the DMV, walked in and said "I need registration." She asked for the title. I said "I got no title". She said I have to have a title. I know, you want to launch into a long complex conversation explaining that there was this former Harley dealer in Arizona and your buddy bought him out after the dealer was charged with multiple felonies and your buddy brought the stuff up to San Jose and you carefully chose all the pieces and got it running and blah blah blah.

Resist any urge to explain the situation. Just say "I got no title". Make sure you breath through your mouth the whole time you are at the counter. Don't dress like a hobo, but don't be Metrosexual Joey either. No matter what she says, respond "I got no title". Eventually she will become exasperated, and shove a "Statement of Facts" form at you and tell you to fill it out. On that form you say "I bought this bike from Yankee Engineuity. It cost $1000. I got no title". You give her the form back, and she sends you out to verify the bike. I claim double cool-guy points since I convinced the inspector that 1962 Sportsters did not have a frame number, which is what California goes by. There was a real risk they would blue-tag it for this-- but now they seem to understand that ruins the value and are not such jerks. They don't rivet the tags on anymore either-- they let you glue them on. The title came a week later, and I walked out that day with a license plate.

The second bike I brought in was a 1979 Sportster that came from British Columbia. The guy drove it down to San Jose and promptly burned the front piston, and sold it to that same bike shop. Maybe there are titles in British Columbia. Maybe there isn't. The risk was the bike was on the hot sheet, or the guy had a lien and was not the true owner when he sold it to the bike shop,

By now I was skilled in the art of mouth breathing. I went to the DMV, bringing the BC plates. I said "I need to register this." She asked for a title. I said "I got no title". Same rigamarole, I violated my code and added the words "No titles in Canada". She walked to a big book on the shelf, looked through it, and finally came back and reluctantly gave me that same precious form, the Statement to Facts. Having practice from the last time, I wrote: "I bought this bike from Yankee Engineuity. It cost $1000. I got no title". She really eyed me like I was a criminal, but I walked out with a license plate and got the title a week later. Bless this great country of ours.

Remember, the DMV is not some test you have to pass to be a first-class citizen. They exist for your protection. If you bought the bike and have possession, it really does mean its yours and if its not on the hot sheet, they HAVE to give you a title, its their job. Do be aware there are two hot sheets, the local interstate one, and an international one. Ask Kirk from Sporty Specialties about getting a title from the DMV and then having customs seize the bike when he went to ship it to Japan.

BTW, the Florida DMV told me I can get my 1952 inspected here at the house by a notary public, and they can register based on that. I will let you all know how that goes.

Verbal recap:
"I need a license plate."
"I got no title."
Written material:
"I bought this on eBay. It cost $9000. I got no title."

I don't try to scam the DMV out of charges-- I tell them the truth as to what I paid. This is why I think they let my XR-1000 sail through, despite it not having a decal on the frame. I am so delighted with Florida, I am glad to pay the tax.
sportsterpaul

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:31 am

Nice K. Around here you need bill of sale and an insurance bond purchased and kept for two years proclaiming you bought or own the bike legally. It is based on a notarized letter of bike value from the dealership. It has to be realistic or they will not except it at DMV. After two years you get a clean title. One of the numbers was off on the 52K Barnster. The 1970 title had a K1699 instead of K1679. I've been working on it slowly, getting the mechanicals freed up and such. She has a broken transmission and was parked in 1970s. I'm going to just fix the mechanicals and leave the rest be. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:07 pm

The '52 cleared Canadian Customs last Friday and went directly into my hauler's trailer. I received a the paperwork today which included: Ontario Registration Certificate, Department of Homeland Security - U. S. Customs and Border Protection ENTRY SUMMARY, ACE Electronic Manifest and Customs Broker Invoice. $500.00 for all that paperwork to the broker but the deal went smooth as silk.

Acid test will be tomorrow when I transfer title tomorrow at the DOL.

Mike
Mike

Postby Model H » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Looking forward to hearing how this goes, and the progress of the bike once it is in your hands.
Model H

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:19 pm

It was a breeze at the DOL this morning... she thumbed through all the broker's paperwork, gouged me 8.4% for sales tax and issued a title. I should have the bike in a week or so.
Thanks, Mike
Mike

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:37 pm

That's great Mike. It's always nice when things work out! :)
EKHKHK56

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions