K and XL speedo cable lengths

All things K & Sportster

K and XL speedo cable lengths

Postby John R » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 am

Might find this useful. The after-market speedo cables are wayyyyyy to long, some as much as 46". I reckon the first (67051-52) was 41.5" from lip of cup to lip of cup, suitable for 52-55 Ks. This enables the smooth factory route running outside the lower frame rail (see page 19 of the early K handbook), up the back of the right down-tube (loosely retained in spring clip, see page 3) and so to the clamp on the terminal plate and on to the speedo.

Next came 67051-52A which I reckon was 42.5" to allow for the raised neck on the '56 up frames to '66 XL, XLH and XLCHs. Then came the 67051-52B which I don't know about!

Anyway, the good news is that Ralph Dollarhite is a speedo repair man and maker of drive cables. He will make you one to whatever length you want that looks NOS. He's ace! Reach him through [email protected]
John R

Re: K and XL speedo cable lengths

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Ralph Dollarhite is a great help! Vintage Speedometers are his specialty. All types. The Speedo Cables he makes from Stewart Warner stock. Just need exact length. Thanks John, good info! Erik
EKHKHK56

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions