Motor Mount Studs

All things K & Sportster

Motor Mount Studs

Postby Zaemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:27 pm

Front motor mount bolts were studs first I am learning.
Does anyone reproduce these before I spend a couple hours making them?

What was the last year? Looks like a regular nut on the left and Flexloc on the right?

Bart @ Old Dude thought the nuts were welded onto the studs but I can't see that in any of the pictures.

Z
Zaemo

Re: Motor Mount Studs

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:52 pm

Colony makes a decent cad set. Studs and nuts. Spacers also I think. Some harley bolts are nuts welded on like rear axle. Not sure on motor bolts. One nut is normally welded to the plate behind genie I believe. I will look at my 52 closer and report. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby strong56KH » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Bart is right, except they were probably brazed or soldered. You can see what looks like copper around the inner threaded edge of the nut that does not pick up the Parkerizing.

Stud1.jpg
Stud1.jpg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 13245 times
strong56KH

Postby Zaemo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Thanks for the great photo. That looks decent. I have half a mind to try to turn down the caps on a lathe on some bolts until some real ones show up one day.

The only long studs I see in Colony's catalog are black ones in their acorn nut mount kit. Am I missing them somehow, Erik?

Z
Zaemo

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi, the Colony # is 9799-20. It's OK but has bolts and nuts instead of studs and nuts. Has the spacers and round grip washers that go against the motor mounts.
EKHKHK56

Postby Simon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 am

Are they a mix of both?

It sucks that I can't get to my parts to check, but I thought several of them at least were Rockford bolts. Here was one on eBay recently:
eBay item number:262277639608
Simon

Postby strong56KH » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:00 pm

At least one or all of the >1966? Sportster versions were cad plated hex head bolts. That particular Rockford bolt sold on Ebay screws into the one welded on nut on the right side mount plate. On K and early Sportster, this bolt was a stud with a soldered on nut like the one I posted previously. The one below that,16236-52, was a also a parkerized stud with a soldered on nut. The parts book shows this feeding through from the left side, but this is not what I have observed. At least from 1955-1965, the stud feeds from the right side with the cad plated flex-loc nut attached on the left. I think this was done that way because the flex-loc nut on the right may interfere with the oil switch. The other three studs feed in from the left side, the two plate to frame studs tightened with flex-loc nuts on the right. In theory, a superseded part with the same number should work as well as the one that came with your bike. If your 57 XL was missing a 16235-52 back in 1980, then the dealer would probably have in stock the later Rockford version and that's what you would have used. Parts changed over time and the later versions are not necessarily incorrect. What interests me is how they came from the factory. Does anyone have what they think are the original plate to frame studs or bolts that were used to mount the K-model front engine guard? The ones I have are longer studs threaded on both ends and I'm not sure they came with it.
strong56KH

Postby MTaylor » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:36 am

I have a few of both the K model studs and the early Sportster studs. As I recall, the K model studs have a narrower nut brazed on to the stud. All of them also have what I can only describe as small cuts on the nuts. Will try to get a picture up soon.
MTaylor

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions