Rear fork (swingarm) assembly question

All things K & Sportster

Rear fork (swingarm) assembly question

Postby hennesse » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:28 pm

I hate to flaunt my stupidity in public, but here goes...

I'm reassembling my swingarm, and I didn't take good notes when disassembling. The bearing shields (#13) have a "flat side" and an "open side:. Which side faces to the outside - the flat side or the open side ??

I think I know the answer, but let's hear what the experts have to say...
rearfork.jpg
Excerpt from the 1969 Service Manual
rearfork.jpg (153.41 KiB) Viewed 9289 times

While we're at it, here's a Parkerizing question about the pivot bolt (#1), and about similar parts such as axles. I suspect you don't want to bead blast the part of the bolt where the bearings ride, so maybe just a quick acid wash? Then do you Parkerize the whole bolt?

Thanks - Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Rear fork (swingarm) assembly question

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi Dave. I think by memory the cup part goes to inside...Smooth flat to outside. I'll check that out more. :) Like they say only dumb question is one not asked. I think it would be fine to strip and plate the entire #1 bolt. It isn't much of a coating as far as adding material, and doing the entire part would be a more consistent and durable plate. I cheat and use my camera phone these days taking things apart if new to me, it's so handy. Than I can show customers the damage and repair process also.

[ Erik subsequently sent this photo via email - this is from the inside - where the tire goes - Dave ]

swingarm2.jpg
swingarm2.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 9255 times
EKHKHK56

Postby hayleyl » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:34 pm

Cup edge of bearing shield faces bearing, flat edge away from bearing. Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Postby sportsterpaul » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Be careful doing anything to that pivot bolt that might make it a few thousandths bigger. You might get away with parkerizing, but definitely don't chrome it. I only say this from experience on my 1979, where some grit pretty much seized the bolt into the frame. The engine was in, so I could not hammer on the pivot bolt from the left side, which would have likely mushroomed the head and ruined the bolt. I got it partway out with a slide-hammer with a hook on the end of the shaft-- I was going to weld a bar to the bolt to really reef on it, but instead I took the torch to the frame where the bolt goes through. I got the bolt out, dressed it with 600-grit, and made sure it was surgically clean when I put it back in. It slid easily, helped by the anti-seize I smeared all over it.

I don't see a problem with bead-blasting it. Bead-blasting should not remove material, and the fit to the bearing inner races is not that tight anyway. Trust me, its better to have that bolt a couple thousandth under than a couple thousandths over.
sportsterpaul

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Those dust covers can be fun to install! Rather thin and large size to press in. I was thinking of making a press tool with all-thread, nuts and washers. You want to make sure the bore is clean to the metal before installing. One high spot and it's a fight. At least last one I did.
EKHKHK56

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions