Circuit breaker article

All things K & Sportster

Circuit breaker article

Postby hennesse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:30 pm

I just posted an article in the Technical section - Circuit Breakers. It's a Request For Comments - so please take a look and see if I got everything correct.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Circuit breaker article

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:42 am

Hi Dave,

Nice summary of the various types.

There's also a difference in the covers, John's having the "nipple" shape with a defining ridge if you follow my meaning, the other one, Don's, being just a dome...

Don't know which should be with which, I've seen both on both models over the years... My 54 KHK came with the nipple type...

As for the control wire, the lower mounted horn was in the way on the Sportster, hence the relocation of the advance retard cable...
The K is certainly neater looking and at the right angle than the XL one...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Re: Circuit breaker article

Postby hennesse » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:36 pm

thefrenchowl wrote:There's also a difference in the covers, John's having the "nipple" shape with a defining ridge if you follow my meaning, the other one, Don's, being just a dome...

Don't know which should be with which, I've seen both on both models over the years... My 54 KHK came with the nipple type...

Palmer How To Restore Your Harley Davidson page 546 says "The original covers did not have the step [defining ridge] on top as the aftermarket cover [did]." I never knew this before today! Based on this, John's looks like an aftermarket.

Palmer gives 3 types: 1936-1938 has a "distinctively large nipple". 1939-1964 with nipple. 1965-later automatic advance with flat top. Unfortunately, the photo on that page doesn't show a 36-38. The best photo of the 36-38 is a prototype 37 EL on page 817. But I can't tell the difference from that photo.

I just looked at mine, and it's an original. But the chrome is bubbling. You can't have everything!
hennesse
Site Admin

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions